axles

quedge

hi

At the moment i have completely standard 24 spline axles, already on my 2nd set. and the time has come where i want locking diffs.

after doing lots of seaching online im thinking of fitting nissan patrol front and toyota land cruiser rear is this the right direction to go.

or do i go ashcroft or what about roving tracks?

Well it depends entirely on what your intended use of the vehicle is.

If you're only using it on the road, greenlaning, or "general" off-roading then I'd say you don't need anything more than standard axles and something's wrong if you've broken a set already!

If however you're doing competitive events, or heavy pay and play stuff, then it may be worth popping some stronger stuff in.

it completely depends on how much money you want to spend, and how much work you want to do.

nissan and toyota bits are good and strong, but spares are more difficult to find.

Uprated LR parts are good, need no modification to fit, and if something breaks quite often somebody else at the P&P or challenge will be carrying a spare even if your not.

Id say go into the challenge scene with ashcroft lockers and HD rear shafts. Replace what you break with uprated items.

Highly recomend the Ashcroft lockers myself, had a pair fitted to my Disco (before I sold it to go to Steyr products) and they were great. From a design point of view they're a much better product than the ARB, people just seem to go for the ARB "becuase everybody else has them", the design is weaker...

i had a set of rover tracks shafts & cvs,

lovely pieces of kit & at a very good price also, unfortunatley i broke one at KOV & im still working on the warranty issue at the moment, i ended up buying a set of ashcrofts to keep racing so ive ended up spending out twice, to be fair its the only failure in 5 years, however it couldnt happen at a worse time :(

I wouldn't even bother with LR axles.... With proper axles you don't need spares :D.

A mate of mine broke 3 halfshafts and 1 diff... on the streat! Toyota diesel power ;). I got the same engine in mine, never broke anything though.

We both have E-locked LC80 axles under our 109's for 2 years now. Only other axles I would want are Y60/Y61 Patrol or Dana60's.

Depends on time/money/ability really - if you're OK with fitting & maintaining non-standard axes then they offer much better strength (and other things like gearing, lockers, portals) for less £££ but most come with other issues to solve regards fitting or servicing. Well worth looking ahead and thinking "will I want bigger tyres, will I want different gearing, what can I do if I chose X?" as you can end up down a blind alley if you pick wrong.

If you just want a bit more strength & parts available off-the-shelf from LR suppliers for the usual LR prices then stick with LR/uprated LR bits. For daily driver/expedition/overland you want standard as it keeps thing so much easier.

Depends on time/money/ability really - if you're OK with fitting & maintaining non-standard axes then they offer much better strength (and other things like gearing, lockers, portals) for less £££ but most come with other issues to solve regards fitting or servicing. Well worth looking ahead and thinking "will I want bigger tyres, will I want different gearing, what can I do if I chose X?" as you can end up down a blind alley if you pick wrong.

If you just want a bit more strength & parts available off-the-shelf from LR suppliers for the usual LR prices then stick with LR/uprated LR bits. For daily driver/expedition/overland you want standard as it keeps thing so much easier.

this is from 6 months challenging. (I'm at sea for half the time as well!)

313145_10150395603999882_567513909_n.jpg

Tuned 4.2v8. I've broken a lot more which isn't pictured. Front & rear HD shafts, ARB's / pegged diffs, crown wheel + pinions, drive flange bolts, props, steering boxes.... The list doesn't stop. The sooner i get the new one built on non landrover axles the better !

The forever ongoing question; standard landrover axles break so need upgrading, toyotas also break but not as quickly (Although some people say the CV's pop just as easily). However, you are in for a lot of reengineering to fit anything else. If you are ok with that you can swap for something different, but I have seen plenty of people having a go at this that shouldn't. This is not so much a problem for a trailerqueen but if you use it on the road, there are peoples lives at stake. Especially the brakes might give unexpected results, so be carefull. Than you have things like buying new wheels etc.

I never bothered myself, and run 35" simex with ashcroft shafts, detroit diffs, kam R&Ps with standard (old type) CV's. No breakages since installed in 2003. Touch wood and all that. just be sensible when you drive and youre ok.

Daan

just be sensible when you drive and youre ok.

Honestly Daan, you should know by now that mechanical sympathy is considered cheating! And it's nowhere near bling enough.

I reckon the real answer is fit a 2.25 N/A, 7.50's, 10spline axles, and a good winch to do the hard stuff.

im running 80 series land cruiser

im first to admit i have broken them

1cv through my own lazyness of not taking it out to de-burr as i knew they was tight

1front diff through being a complete and utter idiot trying to reverse up something that it didnt want to go up without the winch

I run GQ Nissan axles on my Discovery. I have broken the sliding fork which engages the rear locker (or it may have been my brother!). They don't like being engaged when moving so not as foolproof as an ARB. They also have a habit of the rear brake pads falling out when they wear thin. This happened to me while messing around at home so no problem there, but the exact same thing happened to a Dutch crew on the Croatian trophy and no-one else on the event had a spare set. They ended up having to make a 200km round trip to Zagreb to a Nissan dealer in order to carry on.

My point is that sometimes it really is useful to go with the herd.

Honestly Daan, you should know by now that mechanical sympathy is considered cheating! And it's nowhere near bling enough.

I reckon the real answer is fit a 2.25 N/A, 7.50's, 10spline axles, and a good winch to do the hard stuff.

Done plenty of cheating, but still broke other components...

Daan

this is from 6 months challenging. (I'm at sea for half the time as well!)

313145_10150395603999882_567513909_n.jpg

Tuned 4.2v8. I've broken a lot more which isn't pictured. Front & rear HD shafts, ARB's / pegged diffs, crown wheel + pinions, drive flange bolts, props, steering boxes.... The list doesn't stop. The sooner i get the new one built on non landrover axles the better !

What brandhafts are they?

Daan

• 3 weeks later...

after lots of thinking, i think im going for land cruiser 80s axles. from a 1994 truck any good? what the best way to go about fitting them use toyota stuff? or cut all brckets off and start new with land rover. any pics or tips of how you guys have done it.

1994 80 series should be good, as long as they are off a UK spec car they will have lockers.

On a 1994 you should have larger brakes than early axles which means you cannot run 15" wheels

The last 80's I fitted I used all the cruiser suspension arms, at the rear this worked really well, loads of flex and really positive location.

On the front the radius arms offered a little more flex than rover arms, but the shape of the radius arms compromised ground clearance.

Have a trawl through the members vehicle forum for a thread by marc1187 he details fitting a cruiser rear and a patrol front to his discovery

[snip]

1front diff through being a complete and utter idiot trying to reverse up something that it didnt want to go up without the winch

and that's the weakness of the high pinion 79/80/100 series front CWP, as a lot of LC drivers find out here.

A GQ/GU Patrol ffront diff is miles stronger than either Rover or LC, (it's a Sals/D60 size high pinion CWP, and you lose a bucket load of ground clearance as a consequence) but from what the Rover boys that have fitted them reckon, the CV stubs aren't much better than Rover,so it ends up being swings and merry-go-rounds.

At least the GQ/GU front end is an easier fit than the LC front.