What type of plastic for winch hawse

dirtydiesel

I agree with Barry (and I'm sure I heard it from Mike) the fairlead is structural to the winch.

I dissagree, the mountings are plenty rigid enough, it might stop the tops of the casting wandering around if the drum deflects under load, but i don't think it's adding a lot structurally,

The 525's predisessor the fairey 5000 is identical mechanically but has much poorer mounting and the fair lead doesn't mount to the winch at all.

IMGP2455.jpg

IMGP2456.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Otherwise known as delrin or acetal as i mensioned at the top of the thread, delrin being its trade name.

I'm not sure Delrin would be any good, we've got a job in for the Welsh Highland railway, replacing pivot bearings for th K1 Garrett. It was fitted with a Delrin sleeve and pressure plate but they've worn increible badly, we're making new bronze parts for it. It doesn't strike me as being that resiliant

I'm not sure Delrin would be any good, we've got a job in for the Welsh Highland railway, replacing pivot bearings for th K1 Garrett. It was fitted with a Delrin sleeve and pressure plate but they've worn increible badly, we're making new bronze parts for it. It doesn't strike me as being that resiliant

I made Dom the welders Hawses on his challenge truck from Delrin, front, back and centre winches and they havnt worn at all over this year.

I couldn't decide on what plastic would work best, so i decided to use stainless.

Instead of machining one out of billet, i bought a hawse from Nick at http://delta-tek.co.uk/ because it's a lot lighter than a solid one, and at 42mm its 3x my rope diameter.

I got mine unpolished so i could modify it for the superwinch 525

2012-12-08_13-01-22_326.jpg

2012-12-08_13-33-37_613.jpg

2012-12-08_17-29-33_414.jpg

Back guard to look after the radiator.

2012-12-08_17-29-48_513.jpg

Added a tag for my bonnet catch support.

2012-12-08_18-13-55_866.jpg

2012-12-08_18-17-15_242.jpg

My worry from a synthetic rope would be the rope wearing a sharpened groove in the plastic and then that cutting the rope 20 years ago when silly idiots banned wooden butchers blocks the plastic ones used to cause serious cuts to hands and arms once damaged

I made my front fairlead out of 16 (I think) dia stainless bar, heated to go around a welded jig. Only mistake was that I made the jig out of tube rather than solid bar, which then distorted under the heat. The rear fairlead I bent freestyle to around 50 mm CLR so it can sit at around 45 degrees and not compromise on departure angle.

Daan

My next Issue is what to coating to use on the rest of the hawse.

I was thinking about polishing the part of the hawse the rope runs over then painting he rest of it black.

But I'm not sure I like the look of the shiney hawse on the front of my car.

So I was thinking about powder coating it all black, but I think mud and carp on the rope would eat the coating.

So my final thought was to have it plated, is there a proper name for black electroplating stainless? And would it last?

Any ideas?

we've had black e coat done in the past, supposed to be better than powder coating as parts are dipped rather than sprayed and the thickness will be the same all over. It seems to go dull over time but we've had better anti corrosion results than some of the zinc plating we've had done in the past. Don't really know about how it will wear but I can find some parts out that you can have if you want to test it.