Wheel Offset

Spearos

Anyone know much about wheels?

The front tyres on my 90 were getting low so I was planning on replacing them before winter, however a set of practically new Grabber AT2s on decent steel 'Land Rover wheels' (don't know what they're referred to as - white rims) came up on a well known auction site. The best bit was that they were only a few miles from my house. The guy accepted my offer and they were mine.

Anyhow, I got round to putting them on this week and straight away I noticed the wheels didn't seem to stick out as much although they're the same size as the tyres/wheels I removed.

First drive and on full lock there was a horrible vibration! Which scared the carp out of me as I'd just rebuilt both swivels!Upon closer inspection though, the source of the vibration is the tyres are rubbing against the radius arms.

I'll just adjust the steering stops I thought - simples.

I assume the reason for this is that the offest of these new wheels is different from the previous set? If so, is this something that could have an adverse effect? Or should I just adjust the stops and shut the hell up?

Winding the stops out till they stop rubbing will work fine but you will loose some steering lock.

If this doesn't bother you then fine if it is there should be no problem with taking both sets of wheels to a tyre fitter and getting the new tyres fitted to your od rims. Really depends on if the loss of steering lock effects you enough to justify the cost of getting the tyres swapped over.

Indeed, me too! Hence why I went back to Wolf steel wheels. 'Standard' Land Rover look, but 6.5" wide and tubeless :)

It's a shame they don't make them any wider - much over 235 tyres and you have to go with wellers or modular rims :(

By turned I mean the centre cut out of the rim and flipped round then welded back in to give more offsett. I have two sets of discovery steels like this to give more lock for trailing and general coolness.

Will.

By turned I mean the centre cut out of the rim and flipped round then welded back in to give more offsett. I have two sets of discovery steels like this to give more lock for trailing and general coolness.

Will.

OT:

I was tempted to do this with a set of old disco wheels and then fit a second set of tyres for play days/challenges. So long as they are done properly are there any legal implications or do you not use them on the road?

Cheers, Harry