Wolf "style" vs Genuine part

Load rating is started as 2250 kg, Mav, should be ample for even the heaviest barge :)

I would imagine these are of similar ilk to modulars and eight spokes but with wolf type appearance. What they probably lack is the thickness of the wolf rim which to me wouldn't be a problem and would do away with the need for longer studs. Where they do score highly is the 6.5 width for wider tyres.

So, who's used them ?

Mo

That's just what I want, the Wolf style without the need for longer studs and half the price !

Not being as wide as a Modular rim is not an issue as I was thinking of downsizing from 265's to 235's. Must find the time tomorrow to give them a call and ask what thickness steel they are.

you don't need longer studs, XD/Wolf studs are exactly the same length as any civvy 90 or 110 wheel studs, even on rear drum braked vehicles it's the same length.

studs should be just inside the nut like your front studs/nuts are. don't forget the nut is fully threaded & has much more thread engagement than you think,

this subject always crops up when XD/Wolf wheels are mentioned

Thanks Western a mine of useful information as ever.

I have been running Mods for the last 6 years and the stud is just inside the nut, but as you say, loads of thread being used. I thought that Wolfs were 8mm thick against the Mods 4mm, I just don't want to gain all that extra unsprung weight.

Bu88er! Bought a bag of studs to do the wolf rim project they cost me £100!

I'll check out the rims tomoz and probably order some, was looking for some "cheap" ATs but for extra tenner I may as well go big brand - so have plumped for General AT2s.

Raptor dash still on going (Xmas presie last year...) clutch still not right.

I spoke to the company today, guy was really helpful. They are exaclty the same thickness as genuine units, but don't have the LR stamp and price ticket to go with it.

They are all sold out at present, but should be back in stock in the new year. As you would expect they are produced in China and supposedly manufactured by an OE wheel plant.

He too spends loads of time like Western explaining that you don't need to buy new studs. He was a mechanic in the military for quite some years. Maybe it all stems back to the vision of half an inch of stud protruding through the nuts on Series vehicle. I rememeber them well. If you had major corrosion or damaged the exposed thread on something you couldn't get the wheel off !

I also want another set of Maxxis Buckshots to go with them, for when my current set wear down. Those are cheaper elsewhere but as they come already mounted on the rims if you buy them together that price difference isn't so wide.

Looks like time to do some overtime !

TUM/TUL studs are 1/2" longer than standard studs. I know this because I fit a set to the 110 Salisbury axle on my 109 to make sure I had full thread engagement after using 1/4" spacer rings (old brake drum centres with the rest removed on a lathe). In retrospect, it wasn't necessary to replace the studs, but at least I'm sure the threads have full engagement.

90/110 refurb projects like Tithonus saw older vehicle fitted with Wolf rims but retaining their shorter studs. Gen Parts studs cost £10 each, so don't replace them unless you have to. Britpart studs are much cheaper, but I wasn't willing to trust my life to them.

the FRC7577 http://www.lrseries....WHEEL-STUD.html Are the longer version,

I have a full set of FRC5926 XD studs here & they are exactly the same length as my existing studs, got FRC5926 from the XD parts cat a few years ago. also the same as all round disc braked 90/110's.

the longer studs are not needed if the vehicle has disc brakes all round,

some fit them to rear drum braked vehicles so the thread protrudes from the tightened wheel nut when XD steel wheels are fitted to vehicles with drum brakes on rear, no other reason to fit them.

Has anyone bought any wolf "style" rims? They are cheaper than the genuine OE part.

Not me, but there is a Def 90 in town that has them and the guy is having a bugger of a time with them. It appears that the metal is weaker than Wolf originals. At the stealers they installed new tires on those rims for this guy. When they went to install them on the Def 90, using the air gun on the wheel nuts, they could see the rims flex when they tighten the wheel nuts. He now has a vibration at speed. The Def 90 has been in the shop so many times trying to solve this issue, they are sure that it's a bent rim that's causing the problems.

Anyways, original Wolf rims are actually much cheaper here in Sweden than buying those copy rims. The markup is so high that it's cheaper to buy 5 originals from the stealers than buying 4 copied rims.

Todd.

Not me, but there is a Def 90 in town that has them and the guy is having a bugger of a time with them. It appears that the metal is weaker than Wolf originals. At the stealers they installed new tires on those rims for this guy. When they went to install them on the Def 90, using the air gun on the wheel nuts, they could see the rims flex when they tighten the wheel nuts. He now has a vibration at speed. The Def 90 has been in the shop so many times trying to solve this issue, they are sure that it's a bent rim that's causing the problems.

Todd.

The recommended torque for the std steel wheel is 110Nm. The torque for the Wolf rim is 170Nm. I can't see any air gun distorting the real ones. Just don't drop one on your foot!

They are cheaper for a reason. I've been bitten too many times now to see the good side of britpart and the likes. I'm just a bitter and twisted Genuine parts whore these days.

Although OE pricing bears no resemblance to what it costs to produce plus a profit margin.

Take new shape Range Rover drive shafts with two stonking CVs and boots for not much over £100, in a nice wooden crate with LR stickers. Then you get charged £20 for a hand full of bolts :wacko: