Remember the song by The Sisters Of Mercy, well this is nothing to do with them.

I started on the brake disc / hub / caliper replacement job this morning. I was aware that I might have corrosion issues and I wasn't wrong.

First of was the brake hose nut which I actually got moving, then noticed that the pipe was turning with it !

I moved onto the 13mm 12 point bolts on the calipers. Now the easy to get at one didn't look too bad, I could actually see the points and I did manage to free it up after some WD and wire brushing. I applied the same treatment to the other one although at first I couldn't make out any of the points i began to see them. I hammered the socket on anyway making sure it went on right.

Alas I was unsuccessful. Feeling some movement and hoping for the best I checked the socket to see that it was just rounding the bolt head :(

More brushing and WD then I hammered on again and got the same result. Wonder if its worth getting a wee blow torch to try heating. I have those "easy out" bolt removers but cant get in aboot because of the suspension spring.

Put the wheel back on and went shooting.

EDIT : Oh carp I forgot I had those Irwin gripper things, I've also got a 1/2 inch 12 pointer I can try !! Gave up too easy today will try again Wednesday.

Need to get new brake pipe + fitting though I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

heat with a blow torch and squirt some Plusgas on - should release the brake pipe from the nut easily enough, caliper bolt will be a bit harder as the whole caliper will act as a heatsink, but plusgas works wonders.

Another vote for Plusgas and heat - I had a very seized drag link (you know what a swine these can be) that finally succumbed to this combination.

Hi

WOW, that's bad looking, was it parked in the sea?

It has to be rust how could anything got thumped into there surely the wheel covers most of the hub.

Doesn't it?

Good luck with the rest of it.

I used to think I was the only one who come up against this type of problem but no we are not alone. :o

It has to be rust how could anything got thumped into there surely the wheel covers most of the hub.

Doesn't it?......

If you look at the edge of the hole it's broken outwards so if it was a thump it was from inside of the disc bowl section. Maybe a bolt securing the disc came loose and jammed against the inside face cracking a lump out?

PlusGas is the one ! I have done the two front wheels now, hub bearings, discs, calipers and pads. Bleeding with a bleed kit tomorrow weather permitting.

After applying the magic elixir I managed to remove every bolt with no drama.

I also need to top up the swivel housing, both sides dropped some oil when I loosened the top bolts to remove the bracket. May see if local Autoshop has that oneshot stuff.

Yeah, Plusgas is The One. I went for the 5l can like this http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/eac-plus-gas-5-litre-dismantling-lubrican-p30703., and I fill a sprayer that originally held dettox or something like that. Seemed crazy at the time, but it's surprising how much you get through with Land Rovers, at least I certainly do, and it works out much cheaper.