Radio remotes and warn's they say dont do it

richard-dangerous

Im about to take delivery of a couple of 8274's and i want to fit radio remotes, i just discovered a warning on warns web site

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/radio_remote_notice.shtml

Is anyone using a radio remote and have you had any problems what make is it etc any advice or help would be appreciated.

Im about to take delivery of a couple of 8274's and i want to fit radio remotes, i just discovered a warning on warns web site

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/radio_remote_notice.shtml

Is anyone using a radio remote and have you had any problems what make is it etc any advice or help would be appreciated.

Got them front & rear on 1 remote no problem yet !!!!!!!

the currently available Radio/Wireless Remote Control Devices may lengthen the response time between the winch control functions of POWER IN and STOP, POWER OUT and STOP.

On an 8274 you may as well wire it straight to the battery then, the run-on is already incredible!

Chris

not on a Warn winch but on my Husky I have fitted a Lodar radio remote mines the earlier 8000, now superseded by the 9000 model, I'm sure some of the recovery trade operators use these with Warn winches.

not had any problems with mine, it operates the same as the wired handheld remote.

Edited by western

Warn winches as standard use an additional two wires in the remote to stop people powering the winch by sticking a paperclip in the remote holes. It adds security by requiring two paper clips instead of one.

Most people have long since done away with the warn solenoids (which are a bit rubbish) and in the process removed the reqirement for the other two wires.

I suspect this is just a precursor to warn launching their own remote.

I use a cheap-as-chips remote (from Champion who were next door to us at Billing) The transmitter casing supplied was horrible - so got re-boxed in a waterproof enclosure. Rest of it was pretty good. Including the new box and push buttons it came to about £40.

Si

Warn winches as standard use an additional two wires in the remote to stop people powering the winch by sticking a paperclip in the remote holes. It adds security by requiring two paper clips instead of one.

A bit pointless really as almost any decent winch installation would have a cutoff switch anyway :rolleyes:

Rich, you should've asked Dave H at the Shires meet - what he doesn't know about RF could be written on the head of a pin with a marker pen :D

Post on the ShireLRC Yahoo group and he might bite if he's not busy.

last i had heard he had made one to work on his car remote . You know the little one that turn off your alarm :blink:

What he does with electronics is amazing, so cleaver can't even tell you what he does for a living

Guest diesel_jim
last i had heard he had made one to work on his car remote . You know the little one that turn off your alarm :blink:

What he does with electronics is amazing, so cleaver can't even tell you what he does for a living

You can buy those little "car alarm transponder" kits in maplins, i've though a few times that it would be neat to get one and wire it into the winch....

hmmm..... i know what i'll be doing this afternoon now! :rolleyes:

You can use a Lodar with the Warn solenoids. I was using a smll piece of wire as a shunt to make it work around the isolating circuit in the warn system, but had a look at the Goodwinch website and found the solution. David has put on a wiring diagram to suit. I have a Lodar running a 9.5XP using this wiring. No probs at all. Warn are just saying "don't use one 'cos we don't make one. When we do we'll be sure to say how great they are."

You can buy those little "car alarm transponder" kits in maplins, i've though a few times that it would be neat to get one and wire it into the winch....

It's a good idea, IMHO the winch lot charge over the odds for the radio remotes when they're basically the same thing in a slightly nicer box.

how many codes are there?

I wonder when two the same are at the same event.

you'll see peoples bumpers being bent as stowed winches spring to life or vehicles plummeting down slopes they were trying to get up.

reminds me of a story where a new remote controlled helicopter owner

smashed his new purchase to bits, then noticed he could buy the crystals to emulate other owners radio signal and have hours of fun

sitting in his car with his remote control handset and a few extra crystals

taking over and adding a few manouveres to the planes/helicopters once in the air.

I'm sure he never meant them to crash :)

as a example Lodar say ---

Self Coding - no switches to set New !

16 million codes for safety New !

on the latest units :i-m_so_happy:

So, it has a 24-bit code generator in it, I reckon you can still get the same thing much cheaper from maplins or similar. Don't see what's wrong with coding one by switches either, means you can force a change if you should find a conflict.

So, it has a 24-bit code generator in it, I reckon you can still get the same thing much cheaper from maplins or similar. Don't see what's wrong with coding one by switches either, means you can force a change if you should find a conflict.

The trouble with the ones from Maplin & most others is the latency between pushing the button on the remote and it closing the relay contacts - and - more importantly the time delay between releasing the button and the relay contacts opening.

One I bought was 1.5 sec on press, 2 sec on release. How far can your winch cable move in 2 sec? Enough to mangle your fingers!

The Lodar in particular has quite short latency which could easily be a safety feature.

For decent quality, low cost solutions go to RF Solutions (www.rfsolutions.co.uk). These are resold by Maplin, RS & the like.

Si