T-Max or Superwinch? or another kind?

discomikey

in theorey yes, i dont really want a tray sticking out the back (in place of my towball) as it would defeat the point of having it rear mounted for me anyway (to pull vehicles onto trailers. (however i was going to put a towball on the front, and then all would work)

i dont really want one in my load bay as it gets fulled with all sorts of carp, from wood, to Type 1 MOT, to limedust and other carp. which aint good for any winch especially the seals.

and i have been seriously considering the Husky that Roguevogue has. as i know they have a great reputation, and after all, it was a husky what was used in the camel trophy, and winched a 90 up a dam! but its quite a large winch. and where i want to put it would mean i need a custom steering rod setup (its going under the front scuttle) whereas a TDS is about the perfect size once the solenoid has been relocated into the engine bay.

so far ive decided on the TDS, front mounted, with a front tow ball for the recovery part, and somewhere to whack a winch loop for doubling up.
guess ill wait till we are at the donnington show to see how much i can get knocked off a TDS :)

If you are going to buy a s/h Husky, know the buyer (so Nick would be a good person to buy from). About 50% of the Huskys I service have been badlye serviced in the past and have fairlt serious issues. Parts are fine if you have an account with Superwinch but even then delivery is relaxed and prices are high. Huskys are not an easy winch to work on - not that difficult either but not simple. A good one is a very good winch. Most are EW8 but an EW10 is quicker and pulls even better although will command a premium price.

Winch Solutions also sell the TDS under the Warrior brand http://www.warriorwinch.co.uk/winch_C9500TDSC.php , same winch as the Goldfish/Maco/Premier/etc/etc However of all the retailers/importers of this brand David Bowyer is the one who seems most willing to work out a deal and he also has a superb back up support in place.

Heed what Simon says about DB and TDS motors - worth noting. Allow that the Husky will need a locking groove machining in the splined shaft - this should be well within your ability

T-max - always go for the 'Outback' version. Better made, better seals and no nasty bronze bushes

Avoid WARN winches, especially S/H. New ones are simply not worth the money as the quality is not as good as many seem to think. Parts are not cheap. If you have to go WARN then look at the M8000CE and the XD9000CE; but new are really stupid money

A series will easily mount professional winches like the Ramsey RE range - like a Hard Core Husky. These are superb winches if you need to work hard. The 10k is the best. All parts are available from Bushey Hall but replacement motors are cheaper from the USof A if you have a mate out there. The drawback is the fitment but a good fabricator could easily overcome this. Prestolite (the motor manufacturer) make a range of motors, with different RPM - upto 8k!

Superwinch X9's are still a good bet, although they still have the 'in drum' brake and as standard waterproofing is poor. Strength wise they are damned tough. Small in size as well, with a good gearing set, parts are cheap and relatively easy to get. Lots of motors fit...

Happy to advise

EP9's are worth a punt (and their Come Up twins)

thanks for the advice. greatly appreciated everyone! my decision is made, im going to wait till the Donnington show and buy a TDS, with bowrope
i will be buying new so i shouldnt need to worry about the motors for a while.

what you say about WARN winches surprises me!

the husky is no doubt one of the best winches about, but personally (and probably unsensibly) id rather get a new winch, and its size would make it impossible to put where i want to put mine without moving either drag link, or scuttle

Take a few WARN's apart, then take a few 'other makes' apart, then compare the quality of parts and build to prices charged

WARN have a reasonable product with a superb marketing system, backed by an almost unshakeable home market brand loyalty - "it must be good, it's from the Good Old US of A"

As the 51st state of the Union some of that brand loyalty has rubbed off on us here in the Goold Old UK. Our pals over in Europe are a different kettle of fish. Ramsey has a much greater slice of the market and the Goldfish TDS and previous top seller from Mr B the EP9 have a big following.

Never forget that the challenge market is teeney and weeney in respect to the bigger picture

My bug bear is not with WARN's product (except that truly pointless thing with the compressor on it) but with the price.

For top quality recreational go and look at a Talon - Chinese built for Superwinch. Got some great ideas on it

Warning Mr lovejoy (honitonhobbit) has a serious anorak for winches trust me there's nothing he doesn't know about them he's the person who recommended the ep9 to me all those years ago.

Mike

Hi Mike! I most definately don't know everything about winches but I do admit to being an anorak about them. These days I am more interested in adding to my 'interesting collection' of classic winches but I do still spend a lot of time with a lot of different makes

• 2 months later...

well, i ended up going for the Goldfish TDS 9.5C.

got it with the synthetic rope, full long wiring loom and fitting consumables, 2 pulley blocks, a wireless remote, 2 swivel eyes and a 11mm dyneema bowrope and hawse fairlead. all for £560, and i sold the steel cable for £60

If you want a pre-made winch tray, to fit inside the chassis rails, D44 do a really lovely one:

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=37291&category_id=1013369&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

Having a mental blank, but I think the series chassis is the same width as defender, in which case it could save a fair bit of fab, unless you WANT to do this of course :)