Contradictions!!!!

Nigelw

So having struck a deal with a vendor for a set of Cooper STT tyres in 235/85 X16 I am very happy or at least was until I decided to flick through the web for a little look at the reviews for them.

To say this website has about the most wildly contradicting reviews is an understatement!!! http://www.productreview.com.au/p/cooper-stt.html

I now need to ask the ever so more worldly and knowledgeable forum for a little bit of help with this, who has run them? Where they what you were hoping for in a tyre? What if any problems did you have with them?

Please don't be shy, if the review pages had anyhting to do with it I would buy me something different but this is a deal I don't want to miss but would skip if the tyres are not what they claim to be!!!

Thanks in advance.

I found them carp in mud. Filled up and became slicks. Fine on road. pretty quiet and made my car a lot faster than the insa's that are on at the moment! I was using them as my road/green lane tyre. I have had friends that like them.

Jad

I have a set of these, and I find they do get clogged with mud when it is thick clay-type stuff, but otherwise are fine. Great in snow!! I've also been places where others had Insa Turbo Saharas that suffered side-wall punctures due to the amount of flint in/on our tracks, I had no issues. I realise that may just be my good luck, but they do seem to be tough tyres.

They are a very good all round tyre, agree about the mud thing, there are better tyres around if you spend most of your time in thick mud, but they are excellent on sand, rocks, snow and wet roads. They seem to last a long time as well - given the choice I would by another set.

I know several people who use or used them. Traction as said is not great in the mud (considering it is supposed to be a mud tyre), but they seem very good on the road, reasonably quiet and certainly well up to greenlaning.

Contrary to some of the comments above I'v heard complaints about weak sidewalls (I saw one tyre get ripped on a rocky slope where BFG MT and Mickey Thompson ATZ and General AT didn't have a problem) and chipping on gravel roads.

For allround use, I'm sure they'll do fine! And there not bad too look at either. ;-)

Filip

I know several people who use or used them. Traction as said is not great in the mud (considering it is supposed to be a mud tyre), but they seem very good on the road, reasonably quiet and certainly well up to greenlaning.

Contrary to some of the comments above I'v heard complaints about weak sidewalls (I saw one tyre get ripped on a rocky slope where BFG MT and Mickey Thompson ATZ and General AT didn't have a problem) and chipping on gravel roads.

For allround use, I'm sure they'll do fine! And there not bad too look at either. ;-)

Filip

Funny my old pal Poppo had a brand new set of Grabber A/T2s on his LC and he ripped the side wall out when we were playing in the sand in the Herentals forest on the way to Eersilingen Bobbejaanland hehe, so not impressed with them at all!!!

I must admit the worst tyres I have ever had were the Khumo A/T things that came on my V8, puncture after puncture with them!!

I am going to buy the STT as they are basically what I want in a tyre and so far I have heard a lot more good then bad for them!! Worst case scenario I buy something else in the future but hey I don't think I will be disappointed some how.