Are NGK BPR6ES Really The Correct Plugs ?

zim

Afternoon,

I've run NGK BPR6ES since I've had my v8 running. But for some reason i don't find them that reliable. I'm probably using a set in about 6 or 7 months.

Please remember this is a trailered challenge truck so not used that much in reality !

Over the past week mine was missing and then yesterday it just refused to start. Put a new set of plugs (ngk's) on it and fired up first time.

Thoughts ?

Gordon

I always run NGK BPR6ES on my tuned 4.2 and have never had any problems and think most people swear by them. I did used to have issues with plug leads as I used to be away for 4-6 months at a time and they used to get damp, however this has stopped since fitting very expensive (but also very good) Magnecor items.

What are the plugs like when you removed them?

Dads CSK also failed plugs 3000 miles or so he only divers short distances think its killing the plugs....NGK BPR6ES

He also has to cheek if its going to start for some strange reason....it always will then shuts it off/starts again before going out.this is killing the plugs.....same plugs in mine lasting twice if not three times longer 15 mile each way to workshop....no start/stop restart The answer is to get the car fully heated up every time you start it up or fouling will render your plugs unserviceable

luke

Rover v8's can quickly foul plugs,esp if the engine is not run up to temp.An overly rich mixture whilst up to temp can as said also do the same.

But the point I would like to make is a warning from a recent Vintage motorcycle club mag.They had an article from NGK about fake plugs that were being sold,which often dont run right or last very long,so it could be worth checking where the supplier got them...

I still buy BPR6ES's in lots of 50 or more to get a good price,and I cant remember the last faulty one I had - unlike the ND ones my supplier tried to get me to have.

I ran the last set of GKN's in my 4.6 for over 20k miles and it was still running strong when I sold it... Looked at the plugs when I did the cam etc. and gapped them but that was all that I did to them in over 20k miles....

Sounds like suggestions above may be worth considering.

Neil

i run these, the road goer v8 3.9 90 has hand them in for over 2 years and no problems. efi

My megasquirt trayback v8 3.9 has had them in for just less that 2 years and so far perfect.... knowing my luck now both sets will die........

Yes

Best plugs IMHO are these NGK

Aviod multipronged things like the plague !!

Prob is

NO plugs

Like being dunked in ice cold water :D

Being run rich

and a single backfire can kill them

Most common reason for backfires is too rich, have you tuned it since I gave you the "Get you going" MSQ ?

If not then I can email you a better map (the get you goings are soft on advance and rich on fuel to give saftey on startup)

and even them a tune or 2 would make better still.

I have also found that onmce fouled, forget anything, just bin abd replace.

The P38 etc have platinum plugs that are a fortune, the main difference is to go longer between services, and they die just as easily :P

Nige

Yes

Best plugs IMHO are these NGK

Aviod multipronged things like the plague !!

Prob is

NO plugs

Like being dunked in ice cold water :D

Being run rich

and a single backfire can kill them

Most common reason for backfires is too rich, have you tuned it since I gave you the "Get you going" MSQ ?

If not then I can email you a better map (the get you goings are soft on advance and rich on fuel to give saftey on startup)

and even them a tune or 2 would make better still.

I have also found that onmce fouled, forget anything, just bin abd replace.

The P38 etc have platinum plugs that are a fortune, the main difference is to go longer between services, and they die just as easily :P

Nige

The later Bosch injected P38's that were specced with platinum plugs just burn out the leads quicker than the earlier ones.We fit BPR6ES's to all of them to,and in the 4.0ltr DII's,the narrower gap of the ordinary plugs gives the coils and leads a much better chance of lasting - esp when on the compulsory LPG.....

If you scope them on both types its amazing how much lower the peak spark voltage is on ordinary plugs,despite all the bull about how good the platinum ones are.Anything you can do to keep a reliable spark, avoiding missfires and upseting fuel trims has to help.Plus even the genuine LR leads are now made in China. :(

They do seem to get through them though.

Interesting to see now I'm on MS but previous I used to out as set in every 6 months to keep the thing happy else it would misfire badly when wet.

Currently got a TVR Griffith 400 in stock, 92 precat and I notice the plugs fitted to that (can't remember the number) were quite cold, could hardly see the gubbins because they were deep inside the threads!