Where has all the projects gone?

Soren Frimodt

If you were to make a subforum for this purpose I don't see why it would need to be restricted to the more radical vehicle altering among us.

If find it just as interesting reading about someone painstakingly restoring a standard vehicle, or perhaps developing subtle interior comfort modifications, as I do reading about someone chopping their chassis in half or building a tube-frame wotsit etc.

If you were to make a subforum for this purpose I don't see why it would need to be restricted to the more radical vehicle altering among us.

If find it just as interesting reading about someone painstakingly restoring a standard vehicle, or perhaps developing subtle interior comfort modifications, as I do reading about someone chopping their chassis in half or building a tube-frame wotsit etc.

We already have places on the forum to post threads you describe above.

We already have places on the forum to post threads you describe above.

Yes, but the way I see it we already have a place on the forum to post threads you're describing.

Differentiating between "extreme" or "radical" builds and those of a more standard nature is going to be difficult from a moderation point of view, and I don't really see the benefit of doing so.

I don't think it should be up to the moderators which thread goes where (apart from the very obvious ones), but more up to the poster. Does the poster want bitching about SVA or not? Things like that.

Plus, forums like that should self-moderate fairly well.

I don't dispute the lack of these threads, and I don't dispute having a place on the forum for member's vehicle builds. I just don't see the need to distinguish between them based on a perception of how technical it is. I don't think the lack of technical build threads on the forum is down to the lack of a place to put them, I'm more inclined to agree with the reasons put forward earlier in this thread by others - economy, changing nature of the "scene", large number of core members moving away etc.

It makes no odds at the end of the day really, if we have a new sub-forum for highly modified vehicles/extreme builds etc. then great, it just seems a bit superfluous to myself.

would this be the time to put this idea back into the light as a&m are working hard on the forum. ( :i-m_so_happy:)

(jasong4110' idea)

I posted an idea about changing the for sale section taking an idea from the Norwegian LR forum, where they operate a bidding process on the for sale, due to the current rules most people are now pushed towards eBay or other forums to sell their gear.

i 100% agree with this idea and i also am put off selling stuff through LR4x4 as 99% of the time i have no idea of what my item is worth so as above, i resort to ebay.

i think (as a LR4x4 user) this idea has some potential, maybe a trial should be put into place. and have it the forum gets a small donation like <5% of final price or a set listing fee? may help with forum finding.

is it possible for jason to post the link of this forum so i/we can have a little nose? :)

Agreed, it's like this thread has been a bit of a group therapy session! We've aired some grievances, got stuff of our chests, and it turns out most of us were thinking along similar lines. The A&M team responded and suddenly we have proper 'shed-engineering' back on show for all to see!

I think it bears repeating, this forum is a broad church, from keeping-it-on-road, running repairs-type threads via rebuilds all the way through to competiton-spec, mog-axled, challenger-tank-engined, 8x8 monsters.

Now, about my build progress...

Where have all the projects gone you ask!

Well stand by and hold on to your hats folks, cos I'm contemplating a build thread on my latest innovation, that being a 4 wheel drum brake conversion kit to suit RangeRover Classics, using 10'' series drums no less. As a follow up I might do a detailed technical step by step description on how to toss out that old alloy lump and shoehorn in 1.6 litres of fire breathing, cast iron F head goodness. :i-m_so_happy: