LR4x4 Amateur Band Net?

simonr

Time to zip up your Anorak!

On Saturday & Sunday Mornings there are lots of 'nets' amongst groups of Radio Amateurs around the world. It struck me that there are quite a few of us on LR4x4 and thought it would be nice if we could arrange a little net on HF.

At the moment there seems to be a little bit of a 'lift' (good propagation conditions) on 80 & 40m and this evening, even on low power I've been getting as far as Argentina. It made me think there was even a possibility of talking to Steve BogMonster in the Falklands?

However, it means that even novice license holders have a good chance of joining in within the UK (they have more limited power than us wrinklies!).

I suspect that most of the Novice licence holders will only have 2m / 70cm as it's most commonly used for things like 4x4 Response - but it doesn't really have the range for a UK/Europe wide net (least not very often).

If someone would like to pick a band, time & day - I'll be there! I can use pretty much any band / mode except 60m. It would make sense to go with the band that the majority have access to.

73's Si (G7DMQ)

VP8CIX has 2m only, so it might be a stretch :)

It is certainly perfectly possible if you have the kit. Before Skype and international phone calls my father used to talk to Brazil, UK and the US every day. Either 14.177 and 21.325mHz were the frequencies IIRC. We used to get lots of trouble from the Argies trying to blot out anybody from this part of the world but Dad had a 2kw linear amp which would cut through most things, to hell with 50w :)

C'mon Ralphy! get yourself a Yaesu FT817 or a FT857! (would sit rather nicely in your 110 then you can join in the fun on HF! (I would also donate a key so you can investigate the dark arts of CW!)

But yes, a Landy Net seems like a good idea, just need to sort out the HF areial!

I'd be interested in thie - 40 or 80 Metres would be best for me: my little PRC320 and 100-foot end-fed puts down a good signal over most of the England/Wales and Southern Scotland.

Note if a net is organised on either of these bands please remember that those of us who use 'green' radios are often only able to transmit using USB.

--G6WBJ

What's a 'green....ah - military! USB isn't a problem.

80m for me is not great as all the Plasma TV's interfere with it (which is an ironic turn of fortune!). 40m is clear - but quite congested.

I had been using a 20m length of wire - but today I put up a 14m telescopic mast which looks impressive! the It brings in lots of stations but lamost makes things worse as 40m is a permanent pile-up!

What about 7115kHz USB at Mid Day Tomorrow? If it's in use, try 7118kHz then 7121kHz?

Possibles:

G7DMQ - Me! (Simon Rafferty) in Sussex

G0EMS - Part1cle in Worcestershire

M0TVA - Chris in Berkshire

G6WBJ - Tanuki in Wiltshire

Si

Just moved house so no antennas at the moment, and haven't unpacked the radios yet.

Will try to at least dig out the FT817 and the see if I can find the HF whip for the back of the Ibex.

Dave G1TVL (on the Hants/ Wilts border)

For non radio types, what are the hoops you need to jump through to get licensed/licenses?

Presumably 'proper' radio isn't chock full of @rseholes like CB?

Have you really got to have the equivalent of Jodrell Bank in your garden to get any distance?

What is good starter kit?

Foundation licence, the course is designed to be completed & examination in a weekend. http://www.rsgb.org/arls/foundation_licence.php you cannot go direct for the Full licence.

foundation will allow use of maximum of 10watts at the antenna base feed in & a good spread of the HF bands

enter your location in here to find your nearest ham radio club http://www.rsgb.org/clubsandtraining/

have a go at the 2 sample exam papers in the links here http://www.rsgb.org/tutors/foundation/

you maybe surprised at how much you already know.

Edited by western

For non radio types, what are the hoops you need to jump through to get licensed/licenses?

Presumably 'proper' radio isn't chock full of @rseholes like CB?

Have you really got to have the equivalent of Jodrell Bank in your garden to get any distance?

What is good starter kit?

Ralph put a link up for local radio clubs, and I found mine via google. Yes, there are some people there who are major league geeks, and then there are some really nice people. I joined the club to get my foundation license and stayed! It is a great hobby.

With regard to kit, you can do it on a tight budget, £40 does get you on air with a brand new transceiver! (dual band VHF/UHF)

Apart from that, you get as much out as you put in, like most things. But do the exam, (multi choice using common sense!) and enjoy!

Ralph, I fear that you have made a mistake:

"foundation will allow use of maximum of 19watts at the antenna base feed in & a good spread of the HF bands"

Is it not 10watts maximum?

according to my foundation licence parameters it's 10watts.

see schedule 1 table A here on the OFCOM site http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/amateur-radio/guidance-for-licensees/amateur-terms.pdf

should of re-read it before posting.

Edited by western

according to my foundation licence parameters it's 10watts.I haven't seen or recieved any updates that state 19watts that's a wierd number to cut off at.

where did you read it as 19watts ????

see schedule 1 table A here on the OFCOM site http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/amateur-radio/guidance-for-licensees/amateur-terms.pdf

I fear is was a question of late night 'fat fingers' Easily done since the 9 and 0 sit next to each other. Thanks for the info anyways