How to turn a swiming pool into a Defender?

Ok guys I know Defenders have a multitude of water ingress problems! Grrrr

It would appear i have water coming in at the passengers side via the windscreen frame to bulk head......... And yes i know it is probably down to the crappy seal that LR fit as standard!......

Now removing the frame is an option (last resort as it's, well it just is), so here's me thinking (which according to the wife is always a mistake), what if i cut the old foam seal out and at the same time wedging the frame in place in say 3 - 4 places then filling the gap with some sealant, when set/dry remove wedges end fill these gaps?.......

Any thoughts as to this or should i just bite the bullet and remove the frame and do the job that way?

The defender in question is a 300Tdi 90 ('95) so time wise this problem is to be expected i guess.

Cheers for suggestions

Yes i had seen this suggesred on here,

But was thinking if i remove the old foam seal i could fill the gap with something better ie. Tiger sealant or the likes of without removing the whole frame?

I think I'd try a line over the top first, if that doesn't work you could always unbolt the blocks and loosen the hardtop enough to raise the frame clear of the bulkhead in order to cut the old seal out. IIRC genuine new ones come with double sided adhesive tape each side which makes them a PITA to fit unless you get the frame high enough. The last one I did I used a length of closed cell foam like the genuine one but without the tape which I just slid into place and then sealed up with something like Sikaflex.

Is the genuine one closed cell foam? The one on mine certainly seems to soak up a fair amount of water.

The water on mine comes in the windscreen seal, that large foam seal between frame and bulkhead, and through the windscreen hinge block bolts. This is despite all of the seals being brand new. It's just a s**tty design with too many joins and seals that don't work. With enough sealant you might be able to make it watertight as above.

That's my point really, the original LR seal is just that rubbish. Foam!?! More like SPONGE!....

So if i was to replace/renew would not something like sikaflex be better?....

Plus dping it the way i mentioned be a lot less hassle?

Or are we saying if i'm going to renew still use genuine seal?

Defenders should come from the factory in KIT form, that way we could build them and sort all these little problems out our selves, it would be so much easier and done right from the off, oh well one can dream

There's nothing special about the origanal seal, strips of the same stuff without the sticky tape can be had from any decent trim / extrusion supplier. Leaks through the hinge block bolts are good point which is why I mentioned about sealing them up too. That said be careful not to just remove the bolts and squirt sealant in the holes as sealant trapped in the block when you wind the bolt back can cause the block casting itself to crack - ask me how I know :blush:

Can't quite see the difficulty in removing the windscreen frame to let you get in there and make a real job of it, ok it takes a little longer but at the end of the day you only want to do the job once?

Personally I prefer the original rubber seal that LR fitted, I did replace mine with a foam-rubber one a couple of years ago but was never completely satisfied that it wasn't holding water so I am just about to remove it and replace with the original rubber type.

Ok guys fair point, think for some reason i thought removing the screen frame would be a nightmare, so wanted avoid going that route.

But if it's not that bad then might have a go.

Cheers all Mutley

Did the bulkhead corners on my 110 a while agao. I got a good seal by running a bead of silicone along the bulkhead top, waiting for it to form a skin, then fitting the LR foam seal. Run a bead of silicone on top of the foam seal wait for a skin to form the reassemble. Once tightened down the pressure forces the skin to burst and the sealant really fills any gaps. Also do not forget to fit the gaskets to to windscreen blocks

Despite the old wives tale of "Defenders all leak water in and oil out" there's no reason for this to be the case, we have two, and neither of them leak anywhere except the rear sliding side windows and then only when you are pressure washing them.

The old type rubber seal is the best, but ours have foam and neither leak at all.

When raining or after rain, with your vehicle stationary and on relatively level ground does water run down your windscreen from the front roof gutter?

Mine did and consquently the water would end up in my footwell. Upon closer inspection there was gunk/debris/old sealant blocking the run off for the front gutter, so the water would over flow the gutter and run down the screen to wherever it was that it gained entry.

Since clearing the gutter, any water that finds its way into the gutter runs out to the side, NOT down the screen and my footwell has stayed dry.... so far!

Ok then have got some Tiger sealant on it's way so will try running this along the length of the old original seal.....

I will order some new gaskets for the 2 blocks, the part numbers i have for these are.... Lower gasket MXC9982 Upper Gasket MXC9983

Is there any does or don'ts when removing these frame blocks or is it straight forward? Only ask as time is precious due to me only have 1 day a week off.

Then just have to wait for a good dry spell so the seal isn't still soaking when i do this job, mmmm might send wifey out on a wild goose chase then use her hair drier if all else fails, well it's a plan, not quite a cunning plan but a plan none the less!