alternators..

pigster

right then..

I have a 200tdi 90 which I would like to up the alternator on, as I have plenty of lights etc etc.. I believe that mondeo engines have an alternator that fits pretty much straight on bar the v belt bit which needs changing. however what model/ year group should I be looking for in order to get the right part.

plus - - they do pack a little extra punch in them don't they.. ??? currently working of a 65a one which struggles to say the least.

cheers for the help.

mondeo are 60 amp on tickover and 90 or 95 on full chat.

u'll need to make a bracket so the tensioner arm tensions on the right side of the alternator. any year mondeo alternator should be the same AFAIK, petrol or diesel, its a bosch unit

bugger, well what fits straight in then that more potent without breaking the bank?

mondeo are 60 amp on tickover and 90 or 95 on full chat.

u'll need to make a bracket so the tensioner arm tensions on the right side of the alternator. any year mondeo alternator should be the same AFAIK, petrol or diesel, its a bosch unit

Easy way to tell - look at your alternator (the way it mounts), then go to the scrapyard and look at alternators that mount the same way.

The current rating is usually written on the alt, I ended up with a Merc van one that is physically identical to a Mondeo one:

Markings.jpg

You can see "45-90A" so it kicks out 45A at tickover and 90A full chat.

full chat meaning - as and when its required.. like using big lights or winching a little...

cheers

Easy way to tell - look at your alternator (the way it mounts), then go to the scrapyard and look at alternators that mount the same way.

The current rating is usually written on the alt, I ended up with a Merc van one that is physically identical to a Mondeo one:

Markings.jpg

You can see "45-90A" so it kicks out 45A at tickover and 90A full chat.

thats providing your headlamps actually work, we are talking landrover here :lol:

:unsure:

halogens and sitched via relays should short that out.

just done some quick sums; let's say you drawing 55 A; that would approximate to about 12 headlamps!!! how many lamps do you have?? (or really need?)

have you considered fitting in some low current hight output bulbs?

Ah ………. Just dropped into my local friendly breakers as I was passing ……. purely to get yet another alternator…………..as I have had yet another fail………….. nice man charged me a tenner………..straight off the shelf.

I can’t visualise the exact position on the 200tdi ? :unsure: from the drivers seat the Mondeo alternator is right hand fitting if the tensioner is at the top………..or left hand fitting if the tensioner is at the bottom.

Why have I had another fail you ask ………. easy…….. my lights are 970watts + another 20 amps for the engine fans ……….. all this lot is on when we are up on the farm shooting….….. slow moving or stationary……… thus with the current draw and the V8 heat, the alternator gets very f’kin hot ……… heat kills alternators ……….. just ask the TVR folk how many they get through……………… I kill about 2 per year ………. but at a tenner each, I’m not fussed.

Before O2 comes back with a witty comment ........... yes, i need those lights.............. just like you need that hole in your ear :angry:

Pigsster……… a lot of breakers now part out the cars and store all the good movers on the shelf ……….. with stuff like alternators and starter motors they box or tag them with an aftermarket part number for easy reference ……………. So when you go in and ask for a mondaneo alternator………. they look it up in the book and decide its LRB460……. Out the back there will be an alt with a LRB460 tag on it ……….. simple.

The good part is that most of the books also list the current output and have a pictorial of the style of alternator …………. You just need to spend 10 mins looking in the book to find a suitable replacement ……………. My local lot know me well…….. I just go out back and help myself. :rolleyes:

Moderated play nicely now no fighting

Tony

I only have a few on there... like er... 6 extras... (I think) however the alternator currently doesn't work very well - hardly any charge as it is, so I thought I might just get a newer one and make it better... (upgrade the wires etc etc)

:unsure:

halogens and sitched via relays should short that out.

just done some quick sums; let's say you drawing 55 A; that would approximate to about 12 headlamps!!! how many lamps do you have?? (or really need?)

have you considered fitting in some low current hight output bulbs?

Why have I had another fail you ask ………. easy…….. my lights are 970watts + another 20 amps for the engine fans ……….. all this lot is on when we are up on the farm shooting….….. slow moving or stationary……… thus with the current draw and the V8 heat, the alternator gets very f’kin hot ……… heat kills alternators ……….. just ask the TVR folk how many they get through……………… I kill about 2 per year ………. but at a tenner each, I’m not fussed.

has it not occured that perhaps you are not using the alternator in the way it is intended? anyone with half a brain would stick a diesel genny and power proper spotlights or maybe you should eat more carrots Idiot.

Moderated. by Tony

come on now lads be nice.. :)

mondeo is the right hand for fitting on a v8, tdi is opposite but bracket easy made to make it fit.

last time i bought an alternator from the scrappies i bought 5 :)

Don't know if you're aware, but alternators aren't actually "handed" as such - remove the long through-bolts that hold the casing together and the end section of the alternator (with the mounting / tensioner lugs) can be rotated to suit the application.

Matt

Don't know if you're aware, but alternators aren't actually "handed" as such - remove the long through-bolts that hold the casing together and the end section of the alternator (with the mounting / tensioner lugs) can be rotated to suit the application.

Matt

on the mondeo one this isn't actually possible, twisting the back casing to make it the opposite hand doesn't work cos the casings dont match nack together, i know cos i've tried :)