The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

Bill, your overdrive arrangement is extremly well designed. Unlike other types that bolt to PTO cover, it´s located between engine and main box, thus not reciving too much torque.

A spanish company called "Ilerteca" developed a similar overdrive, but using sun gears, in the mid 90´s. It was succesfully tested by "Lleida Tracció" team in the deserts of Morroco.

Bill Overdrive + Mitsu box + LT230 will make a wonderfull 40 speed box!

Bill, your overdrive arrangement is extremly well designed. Unlike other types that bolt to PTO cover, it´s located between engine and main box, thus not reciving too much torque.

A spanish company called "Ilerteca" developed a similar overdrive, but using sun gears, in the mid 90´s. It was succesfully tested by "Lleida Tracció" team in the deserts of Morroco.

Bill Overdrive + Mitsu box + LT230 will make a wonderfull 40 speed box!

Advance Adaptors in the US make a similar overdrive called the Ranger Torque Splitter, that bolts between the bell housing and main box of their domestic 4x4's, pickups and Toyota Landcruisers. I picked a used Ranger up some years ago for $200 that required a synchro ring and bearings to put right again.

40 speeds !!! I have enough problems remembering what's what with the 12 ratios available to me now.

If you still hold dreams of building a compact 6x6 Teunico, be careful about fitting a very long transmission, otherwise you will need a long primary wheelbase to the leading rear axle to sqeeze everything in.

Something I would like to see you draw out is a 6x6 with the leading axle turned back to front and driven by the centre pto,via a propshaft running to a second transfercase mounted to the chassis just above the rearmost axle, with another propshaft running down to the leading axle diff. The transmission would need to be mounted high enough so that the rear output shaft would clear the leading axle tube when the axle is at full uptravel. With this arrangement I was able to achieve a wheelbase of 65'' + 60'' on a vehicle I began building some years ago.(alas another victim of bushfire) Of course, 4 wheel steering would be mandatory with that kind of axle spread.

The 40 speed gearbox could be formed using a Defender LT77. I have been looking at vatious gearboces' ratios and 30% seems to be the average ratio lift when jumping one gear. LT77, according to the data at TeriAnn's page, has a 5th overdrive with just a 17%. That will make an excellent splitter, as seen in HGVs. It's short bellhousing will bolt directly to the Tdi and help with overall gearbox length.

40 speeds are quite a lot, but you can think of it as a 5 speed with a stadard low ratio, an overdrive and a crawler gear.

The overdrive-splitter could be actioned via a switch in gearknob and a p38 RR lowbox actuator.

Something I would like to see you draw out is a 6x6 with the leading axle turned back to front and driven by the centre pto,via a propshaft running to a second transfercase mounted to the chassis just above the rearmost axle

Something like this?

chassisbill6x6.jpg

With this arrangement I was able to achieve a wheelbase of 65'' + 60''

Why so much wheelbase between axles 2 and 3?

That didn't work out well. I think I'd rather use a double-axel chain box on the end of one axel !

That said, I have an inkling that you mix LWB and SWB rear spring hangers so they sit side-by-side overlapping. The above design then shortens.

Why so much wheelbase between axles 2 and 3?

60'', with the transmission layout mentioned was to allow long enough propshafts to both rear axles for good bogie articulation . The vehicle was to have Salisbury diffs all round, which are a little difficult to mount chain or gear driven drop boxes to.

A Salisbury will certainly work better tan Rover units, specially when beeing reversed.

Here some nice videos comparing internally both LT77 and R380

Another crazy idea...If I build an overdrive out of a LR gearbox, I will have lots of non used internals. Has anybody tried before adapting some sincromesh to the LT230?

It will look like this, with 21 tooth constant pinion for low 0.83 5th. 5th pinions will be located in place or 3rd gear ones. Main casing will be shortned. 5th housing, now containing only the oil pump, will be also shortned. LT77´s output shaft or Mitsu constant pinion shaft (or both) will be moddified to match one each other ,

lt77discovery0031.jpg

lt77overdive.jpg

lt77short1.jpg

lt77overdrivecasing.jpg

Oh yes, I HAVE A JOB! :i-m_so_happy: . It´s not a great job, I will be working as a freelance for a marketing company, but I hope to recover in the next months the bank savings that have been disapearing during more than one year of unemployment. Then I will be able of making real some of the vapour builds I have been sketching in the past.

Thanks to all of you. First project will be a donnor Discovery, because the one that my brother gave me is beyond repair.

6x6 is not easy with local MoT regulations, but maybe some kind of underbody protection in the shape of tracks or rollers.

I will also like to buy a small lathe and build the mitsu-rover box.

• 2 months later...

Sharing some info with SenseMaker2013 about lorries for his mobile radio studio project and searching some info about the "wide spread tándem" used by, at least, MAN ans Scania, I have discovered that it´s the system that I imagined some time ago: hidraulic trailing arms that make the axle to pivot arround "A" frame´s ball. Seems easy to build in a Land Rover for better turning radius (of couse only at low speeds and off-road).

D90_02532.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

26-IMG_5860-R.JPG

That could be installed to a Land Rover type vehicle with hydraulic top links for a tractor in place of the trailing arms.

The opposing rams would rotate the axle around the A frame ball joint just the same and the horizontal pinion angle would remain unchanged. The changing wheel base would require some serious body cutting and it could be a bad thing if you were turning across a hill. You'd have to have a springing / damping arrangement which allowed the necessary degrees of freedom whilst holding the weight of the vehicle. A Boge strut with the A frame could help.
I did consider using hydraulic top links for my future buggy suspension but more for shock loads rather than steering and to emulate the 'duck walk' you can do with a centre steer vehicle to help make progress.

The ball articulation isn't great as standard but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a grinder and it would rattle a bit when it got some slack in it but for cheap and cheerful strength it would be hard to beat for prototyping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydraulic-Top-Link-Top-Link-Hose-Kit-/261191718501?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

This is just an example, you get cat 1 - 3 depending on size and strength and almost any length you want.

$T2eC16h,!w0E9szN,-B+BR3BMnE07!~~60_12.J

Any thoughts on how to arrange long travel suspension without pulling coil springs out of line with this set up?

PS, glad to see this silly thread revitalised!!