Clonk from park to drive

Hoopfish

Ok, 300tdi auto,when sitting on the flat when i engage drive i sometimes get a clonk coming from the drive shaft/box.
The UJs look ok but not sure if they are good.
Where else could this noise be coming from?
Its started to make a noise when changing gear when going down hill!

any ideas please?

:blink:

Could be any slack in the driveline, UJs, Diff, transfer box, CVs drive flanges etc.... go through it methodically.

Noises tend to propagate, so having a mate with you can sometimes help diagnose.

Mine does it as well and I've had the gearbox, transfer and diffs rebuilt with Detroit lockers and the prop shafts have new unis. From the time I took possession of my Disco there was a fair degree of movement in the drive train, I guess with so many bevel gears from the three differentials, the transfer gearbox with gear selection of high low and the spline joints in the axles and propshafts a movement of up to 5-10 degrees in total is to be expected.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's 2009 Defender does it too, and it is manual. The clutch drags just enough that when you select gear, the slack in the transmission gets taken up. Your toque converter will do the same. Nothing to worry about if it's a small knock, but you can check the suspension bushes and A-frame ball joint, and it's worth checking the splines on the gear box main shaft and the transfer box input gear as they can wear.

its a Land Rover, built like a truck for utility not for exact precision - its not a Ferrari !!! it has from memory 9 splines in the transmission, all of which have a degee of play - intentionally - and additional play in the three differentials so a degree of "slop" is to be expected, live with it :glare:

Ok, 300tdi auto,when sitting on the flat when i engage drive i sometimes get a clonk coming from the drive shaft/box.

The UJs look ok but not sure if they are good.

Where else could this noise be coming from?

Its started to make a noise when changing gear when going down hill!

any ideas please?

:blink:

Idle speed to high when selecting D, but then if you transimssion has some wear then who knows you may have live with it.

But disco didn't leave the showroom with clonks, it doesn't matter what anybody says it shouldn't.

I have been thinking on this all bloomin day after reading this thread last night.

Start off cheap and simple, "A" frame bushes and ball joint, radius arm bushes, trailing arm bushes, UJs, Slip joints on props, if you run a 300Tdi with separate front drive members then check those too, although after the cheapies it gets more expensive so test them all out and let us know how you get on with it.

There are quite a few more but they are normal culprits for this issue.

"that will only isolate the rear axle, with the handbrake on the front axle can still turn. locking the center diff may help there though". quote.

Are you sure? The transfer box output shaft carries the hand brake and rear propshaft at its rear, and the centre diff at its front end.The centre diff then drives the front propshaft. With the hand brake on the transfer box cannot turn, leaving only the slop in the main and transfer gears to take up. .

I think you are missing the point here, and yes, brand new out of the LR showroom, a new Disco or Defender will give no no clunk but given a little wear in all the gears in the transfer box and the front differential a degree or two at the half-shaft equated to a fair movement of the actual tyre. I really think you are getting into a dither over nothing