Which cam for v8

Ok so after months of never ending expense iv finally got some money to throw at my v8 rebuild but not enough for my megasquirt. Question is I wanna upgrade the cam wi sowt that will give me a bit more low end grunt but am unsure which to go for. Also will there be other mods need doing to go wi the cam?

All recommendations welcomed.

It's 4.6 Gems engine.

I fitted a crower from v8tuner. Seems ok but then I replaced a goosed 3.5 with a 4.6 so its bound to go better :) also fitted the steel timing gears/chain from him and did drilled the two holes in the valley to help lube it.

plus 4>2>1 headers not 4>1

If a Cat Engine and you can run without them change tune resistor for Non Cat Tune

The 4.6 is a long stroke motor so not as free revving as a 3.9

DO NOT fit a lumpy cam !

Something like :

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=377

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=693

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section1.pdf stump puller cam

check the cam has the ends that will fit / suit your engine I'll aviod saysing that the ECU will not really gain from all this and if you were to squirt it as std you

would gain more via tuning and binning the dreadful contrictive AFM

Ooops I have :P

Nige

When I rebuilt the 3.5 in my 101 I fitted a standard 3.9 cam which gives an improvement without going overboard (oops, see you have a 4.6 so ignore this!).. Got all my bits from V8tuner and got good advice from www.v8forum.co.uk

I have the piper max torque in my 3.5, but the cam it replaced was round, so the same problem on comparison as above.

From a 'drive' perspective off road, it isn't lacking in bottom end :)

I went with duplex chain and vernier bottom sprocket which gives you 5 choices. (It set-up/cam-dti on the central zero one).

An arp stud kit and thats about it for tuning. Even have the 1972 headers. The auto doesn't let it rev much anyway.

I have had a Piper Torquemax in my 4.6 GEMS (which is due to be MSed...) for some years, very happy with it. When the 4.0 GEMS my better halve drives needed a new cam, we also opted for the Torquemax. She likes it a lot and I find it really works well with the autobox too.

On a 4.6 with a serp front end you are very limited on the cam choices, I think Kent are about the only ones that fit without modification, also there are no duplex timing sets available last time I checked, so you will have to go genuine/OEM steel.

I run a kent cam in my 4.6. Can't remember which one H180 from memory, something like that - search on here i've posted before. I gained a bit of low end power and lost a bit of fuel economy LOL. v8tuner is very friendly and will offer you advice if you call him :)

In my 3.5 and 4.2's i ran crower 50229's from memory, same sort of thing where you mainly gain torque. Not sure on fuel economy changes as they're only offroaders.

G

My 4.6 cam is a piper - just make sure you get the short-nose one for the 4.0/4.6. V8's are about low-down torque so I'd always vote stump-puller or similar. You can't get duplex chain for the 4.6 because there's not enough depth in the timing cover, but genuine gears & chain are all steel anyway.

Just checked - cam is Piper V8461237@114, last bit being the grind is 1237 @ 114deg. Piper ref 67577 on the label. Bless camera phones ;)

Also, V8Tuner are very helpful, Real Steel are also good for bits. RPi unfortunately throw a lot of bullsh.. about.