Front propshaft UJ's disintegrated. Brother stuck in wales

Hi,

The front propshaft UJ's have disintegrated and my brother is stuck in Wales and unsure what to do. He's awaiting recovery to his destination but am I right in saying that he can pop it into difflock to get him about in 2wd?

It's been so long since my halfshaft snapped and I can't find the answers on the thread.

He also says that when the UJ went he shat his pants and it has damaged something on the chassis but he can't tell me what.

Flailing propshafts can do a lot of damage! I've seen pics of smashed gearboxes and holes in floors. Would be worth ensuring any damage that may have occurred isnt serious before continuing any journey.

If he removes the prop, and engages difflock, he can drive as normal with rear wheel drive.

Thanks for the advice.

He's getting recovered to his destination and will then phone round garages tomorrow morning.

It sounds as though the bar that goes across the chassis has been ripped off as well so hopefully there isn't any more expensive damage done.

Poor bro. His 6 month pregnant partner and him are sat by the side of the road in the lashing rain.

;-(

more likely just bent the crossmember under the gearbox, remove the prop, make sure the bolts/nuts can't catch on anything, select difflock & drive home in rearwheel drive, no hard fast acceleration, the 90 will be fine, a new UJ can be fitted at home

From what I can tell the propshaft is in bits and already off. Also the crossmember under the Gearbox has gone as well.

Fingers crosse for him.

At least he is mobile and can get to his destination tonight.

Thanks for all your replies. Passed them on to him and gave him confidence to proceed

I don't see a chance in hell that the crossmember came out without taking a chunk of the chassis with it, unless there weren't any bolts in it...

I agree, and in the same area is the side of the gearbox.... I have seen a hole smashed through a gearbox when a prop went under power, if that had happened he would know by the large puddle of oil but definately worth checking for damage before driving if at all possible, should be quite easy to see what is broken!.

I assume it was the back end of the prop where the UJ failed to take the crossmember out, generally better than the front end going which has more room to swing about and cause damage possible even digging into the road, I have never seen it but there are reports of front props failing and digging in resulting in vehicles rolling over, either way it would be good.

If one UJ has gone it is also worth having a general look over the vehicle for condition they don't normally go with no notice (although it can happen), what are the rear UJ's like?.

Thanks guys for all your responses. Took it to a garage and they said the front diff is knackered too. Not able to get parts cos of weekend so driving it back in 2 wheel drive mode to Sussex to fix there. Nice dent and scrapes in the base of the gear box? but no oil leaking out. Some bits of chassis defo not there anymore but inability to post pics from my phone and my ignorance of landy anatomy is not helping name them.

Back home now all in one piece after a slow and nervous journey back in rear wheel drive. Thank you for all the help and support and parts availabilty! Taking it to the garage tomorrow to get it looked at. Gears were clunking and clanking a bit in the lower gears, so hopefully not into a new box as well....

• 1 month later...