How hard would it be to lift a 250kg fly press??

reb78

As above. I have the opportunity to buy a fairly large fly press and as such, the seller estimates the weight at 250kg. Do you reckon a couple or three hefty blokes could lift that? I dont have my uncles engine crane at the moment but that would have been ideal for unloading the thing.

Also, will the floor of my csw be ok with that heavy lump? I would have thought so.

(p.s. it is for landy type work, so hopefully its ok to put on the forum!)

Yeah, I would say (having spent my youth lifting stuff) that you'd need a crane to get it in the back of a CSW.

It's not the weight so much as how you get three (four probably) blokes to lift it through the door safely.

A couple of options:

1. Rent a crane: http://www.hss.com/g/67715/500kg-Engine-Crane-Folding.html

2. Take it apart, you might have more luck with it in bits

3. Strap two wooden planks to the back of the thing reverse the CSW up to it and lever it in... The planks need to be long enough so that you "lay" it on the floor.

My tuppence worth.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

Thinking about it a little more, I'd try this:

post-25707-0-33855500-1370450948_thumb.jpg

1. Reverse

2. Push the planks back so that some of the weight is on the leading edge of the door

3. Use a jack (or your chaps) to lift in

Because you are using the door edge you lose some of the weight about the pivot...

Again, just my two pence worth!

Cheers,

Mike

I seriously doubt you'll lift it straight in.

I've moved a milling machine and a lathe about, with just me and a mate. They Egyptians managed fine with blocks, levers, ramps etc. and so far I've had similar success with a bit of lateral thinking and time.

Is your floor boarded? 250kg landing on an edge or a corner will make a nice dent.

If you have access to an engine crane, I would seriously consider it, it'll make life a lot easier.

Thanks all.

Appreciate the effort that went into the pic Mike! That's good thinking. Loading isn't a problem, the guy has a forklift. Its getting it out my end, but if I had planks in there as you suggest, they will protect the floor and also allow me to slide them out and then (with the help of some mates), gently lower to the ground.

I seriously doubt you'll lift it straight in.

I've moved a milling machine and a lathe about, with just me and a mate. They Egyptians managed fine with blocks, levers, ramps etc. and so far I've had similar success with a bit of lateral thinking and time.

Is your floor boarded? 250kg landing on an edge or a corner will make a nice dent.

If you have access to an engine crane, I would seriously consider it, it'll make life a lot easier.

..... and 3,000 slaves !

I'm presently in the market for a fly press and wanted a number 4, 5 or 6. I'm interested how much this one you're buying actually weighs and how you get on with shifting it, do you know what number it is?

Contrary to common belief there is no legal max on what people can lift. Some of my guys in the works can lift far more than me but it depends on whether its a straight lift or twisting, pushing etc..

Thats a lot of weight ( its a quarter of a metric tonne), and its both ways - loading and unloading.

I am not saying you cant manage but if it goes wrong , one of your mates backs is knackered for ever.

My advice - Do it the easy way and find/hire someone with a flat back pickup + Hiab.

A fly press is a great bit of kit - even buying cheap as chips, its worth a few quid to get it home.

Hope it goes well Richard

Cheers

Barry

I bought a "Largeish" 400 KG Ex Bank Safe (as you do) and used an engine crane to lift on (90 dropped down a tad :lol: )

and then again to get off, even small engine hoists are 1 Ton etc

Just make sure the lifting eyes are good to lift on again after it goes in, tricky to "Turn Over" once in a LR !

Nige

We (Dad, brother and me) moved one on a sack barrow (actually come to think of it we moved two) a few years back, the sack barrow amazingly survived despite both wheels splaying out when we went around a corner, they straigtened up again when we travelled in a straight line.

I'll check with my dad which numbers the presses are (they are both full size with one being the deep throat one). I think we slid them down a stout ramp to get them out of the van.

Getting it up on to the bench in the workshop was managed using a motorcycle hydraulic work bench.

I'm presently in the market for a fly press and wanted a number 4, 5 or 6. I'm interested how much this one you're buying actually weighs and how you get on with shifting it, do you know what number it is?

I asked one of my customers who has a pressing shop full of flypresses, and he reckons a number 5 is around 400 to 500 kgs and you definitely need lifting tackle to get it onto a bench, as CW says.

If you do decide to haul it into the back of a CSW Richard, you may find your steering feels a bit light as it will be sitting well back and not over the rear axle.

Also you need to look at the lashing points, as you should use 1000kgs minimum ratchet straps to strap down this weight in case of emergency braking etc..

We move lumps of steel like this around day in day out and we work on strap SWL being 3 to 4 times the load.

You definitely dont want one of these moving around in the back.

Cheers

Barry

Getting it out is easy! Do you have access to a hi lift pallet truck or you could even put a stack of pallets behind the 110 tie the press to a heavy thing and slowly drive forward leaving it ready to pick up with engine crane or make steps out of pallets and tow it down them ( sheets of steel will help it to slide) if you are going to use planks make sure they are well beefy I've had a few items snap planks when loading and unloading it not really an ideal situation to be in. Piloting a john deere gator off a tractor trailer hanging by the front tow ball was a bumpy ride.

Will.

When I lifted my fly press onto its bench in the shop I used the LR's winch through a snatch block off a big beam. To get it in and out my pickup we used forklifts.

G

Having checked with the old fella (he has a far better memory than me) it seems we got both fly presses out of the back of a transit van using a sack barrow and a stout ramp.

They were a Norton No8 and Norton No6DB deep throat.

If using that approach I'd recommend using a control rope from the sack barrow axle to a fixed point inside the vehicle to slow the descent!

I think i have decided to get my own engine crane. Machine Mart have another VAT free voucher out at the moment, so i'll take advantage of that. By the time i have driven to my uncle and borrwed his, plus return it, there is £40 gone on diesel. I could rent one for £15/£20 ish, but i will need it again so may as well get one. I ahev an old engine that needs moving and no doubt will have to drop gearboxes for clutches etc (plus i have the restoration of dads old vauxhall magnum in mind), so a crane fo my own will get plenty of use.

Thats a really sensible decision in my book Richard. You only have to buy one once, and for jobs like this you can take your time and do it safely.

Also in my 40 years in Industry I have never seen a bit of kit over 100kgs without an eye-bolt or a threaded socket to take an eye-bolt. We can all improvise but they are there for a reason mate. Now we all know where to come to get our bushes done if you will pardon my expression Matron :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers

Barry

Thats a really sensible decision in my book Richard. You only have to buy one once, and for jobs like this you can take your time and do it safely.

Also in my 40 years in Industry I have never seen a bit of kit over 100kgs without an eye-bolt or a threaded socket to take an eye-bolt. We can all improvise but they are there for a reason mate. Now we all know where to come to get our bushes done if you will pardon my expression Matron :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers

Barry

Haha!!

Thanks Barry. I think it just seems that I'm just into collecting tools at the moment. I'm hoping that at some point a lovely large barn will become part of my life in which to use them!!! Finger crossed anyway!

Thinking about lifting chains,strops,bow shackles etc... I use both these suppliers for work.

I have no connection with either of them but in terms of quality, price and service they are bang on:

www.rhinocargocontrol.co.uk - As well as all manner of straps,strops and lifting gear they will custom make canvas covers.

And

www.arbil.co.uk - you may know them as ARB 4x4 - I think the sole importers for Warn and several others. This is their parent company who were originally and still are chainmakers. If we have damaged chain sets they will always offer a repair / recertification option which is cheaper than just saying they are knackered and you need a new set. They supply a massive range of bits and will custom build if required.

PS if you buy a strop for lifting they offer wear sleeves which give you a massively extended life span.

Highly recommended

Barry

Looks heavy enough, that is one of the stronger types as it has two legs, obviously that limits access a bit but does mean you can get more power into it without the frame distorting. What size is the gap between the legs?

Looks a nice bit of kit.