Desert in a Defender - soft top or hardtop?

I'm considering a trip to Morocco in due course, and I have two types of roof for my car. The soft top was great in Spain and the Pyrenees, roof on and sides rolled up, so that's my preference. A hard top would be more secure (and easier to put a roof tent onto) but am I more likely to bake to death?

Hard top. Soft top will be insecure, impractical if it rains in the Atlas and you'll get covered in dust in the south.

For the desert sections/southern bit you're much better off in a well sealed truck with air con. I know that's not very hardcore, but it's true.

Ventilation equals dust in all your gear (ask me how I know).

Although a lot of car parks in Morocco have security guards or guardians it would still be pretty brave to leave a soft top unattended.

I do have a lockable shelf over the rear load bed, and it kept everything fairly secure when we were in Europe.

post-277-0-78518300-1375739853_thumb.jpg

Is Morocco much worse? Especially since I anticipate we'll be sleeping with the cars, but I would like to leave it if we head out to explore any towns.

James - Aircon? :hysterical: Let's just carry on as if I don't have aircon...

you're much better off in a well sealed truck with air con. I

Well that rules out a Defender then,,

Even with AC and all sealed shut, the dust WILL get in, certainly round the rear door,

24 hours down south , and you will be able to write in the dust on the dash !! even with a new Defender !

A Rag top tour of Morocco, There a idea :)

A rag top tour of the South of France sounds good, a rag top tour of Morocco sounds miserable.

I went with a friend in a Td5 110 and even the rubbish Defender sealing and rubbish Defender Air-con was better then nothing. He might have been able to write in the dust on his dash, I could write in the dust on my face after an hour on Lak Iriki in my 90.

J

Well, Tim and I did the south of France (some of it) in soft tops this summer, and it was good, but I take your point re dust. The hard top certainly seals better than the canvas but we certainly wouldn't asphyxiate overnight with the doors shut.

I understand the accepted African method is sides rolled down, back rolled up and both front vents wide open. And accepting that everything unsealed will be dusty :)

My wife and I went through Morocco in the late 90's. I bought two second hand Peli cases that were in perfect condition, one to hold some of our more valuable paper work and the other had some spares in.

I did not need to open the second one at all while we were away, but when we got home and I got around to sort things out there was a film of dust/sand in the case - it does get everywhere!!

Peter.

I've done Morocco and a few other North African countries in a soft top 90, and to be honest there's no benefit at all with a rag top.

if you go during the summer you'll be baked either way, a canvas hood gets just as hot as a tin top (our thermometer went over 60 degrees in the cab in the south of Morocco!)

Dust is a big problem, there are more entry points with a soft top - you and everything you own will be covered in it if you're running on dusty tracks - opening the vents does little to help and if you keep the tail flap open, the dust trail you leave gets drawn inside even quicker

I never found security to be a problem, and never had my vehicle tampered with in any way in any country, but I certainly wouldn't leave it anywhere with the sides rolled up.

The biggest annoyance for me with long road trips in a soft top is the noise though. It's a lot higher, and the flapping noise you get from even a well strapped down hood starts to hurt your ears after a while.

A white hard top lined with insulation would work well, or a roof tent or rack with something on it does a good job of keeping the roof cool as well.

If you were to go with the soft top and cope with the dust, is there a way you could weld small mesh to the sides and top of the soft top frame, another piece like a dog guard behind your seats and a third bit as a hinged back door? That way you can lock the back with your kit inside, but still have the ability to fold the sides/back up?

Not a very good description, but something like this: (albeit with steel not nylon)

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/defender-products/defender-hoods/90-full-hoods/xs-mesh-top-to-fit-heavy-duty-bar-set-detail.html

Well that rules out a Defender then,,

Even with AC and all sealed shut, the dust WILL get in, certainly round the rear door,

24 hours down south , and you will be able to write in the dust on the dash !! even with a new Defender !

A Rag top tour of Morocco, There a idea :)

If you have the right aircon fitted you can pressurise even the 110 to keep the bulldust out , but not really justified for an occasional trip on a gravel road .

When it really hot you need to ventilate indirectly , as the hot air can end up giving you wind burn

security with a soft top as suggested will work but you can end up getting the canvas slashed before they find the steel mesh inside HTSH

• 3 weeks later...

This photo you see here was taken on the (in)famous Birdsville track two years ago and since then Julie and I have traveled through 70% of the Australian deserts with, at times, bull dust a foot deep. The solution I found from old timers to stopping dust getting in the rear and side doors is reasonably simple - heavy axle grease. The tin I got was for Catapillar heavy earth movers, at 40 plus degrees C it was still fairly solid and the more it absorbed dust the thicker it became. All I did was to smear it thickly on the rubber door seals. Overnight it becomes solid as the temperature drops and re-applying it with a palet knife the next morning takes 5 minutes and the interior of my trusty Disco stays 'reasonably" dust free. Once home a rag and some kerro and all traces are easily removed.

Oh, and I grew up in Kenya, while trying to to be politically correct if you go in a soft top dont expect to go home with all your valuble belongings, especially if you are unfortunate to meet any bedu gypsies --- while you are distracted by one lot the others (and the women are the worst) will be into and onto your gear and anything not tied down will go -- use the hard top and keep it locked !!!!!

• 1 month later...

Without AC in Morocco, being in my 110 was a very dusty experience as we had vent flaps and windows open. There is still a lot of dust in there three (?) years later!

Chris

We was hardcore :)

On the plus side you'll get double sun protection if you use sun cream as the dust sticks to the cream forming a thick protective coating :)

Mo