Which diesel ...

Anderzander

Just seen Tom's topic about which off the shelf V8 to fit .....http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85228#entry731331

Which put me to wonder if I swapped out my Td5 motor what would you put in ?

200 or 300 would be too much of a step backwards in most senses except simplicity. Can the Transit engine be popped in easily ? And are they the only 'off the shelf' options ?

Dan's (Dirty Diesel) merc project looks good but their will be quite a bit of fabrication and machining to mate that up to the transmission.

So where would I go ?

It is an appealing engine - though I think it falls in the 'bloody expensive' category ?

I know Bell Service fitted one and worked out how to get the ECU working. I can't imagine the motors aren't expensive nor the BAS work though ?

I know Bell Service fitted one and worked out how to get the ECU working. I can't imagine the motors aren't expensive nor the BAS work though ?

in the region of £5-6K - most of that on the electrickery if memory serves from when they converted a D1.

usual suspects are the gmc v8 diesels from the good ol humvee - although one particular breed of those has some major reliability issues iirc.

not much these days that wouldn't require some electronics to make it run unfortunately :( :(

anyone got any news of megasquirt for diesels yet???? (hat, coat, gone....)

the spare TD5 i have in the shed,

if i built another vehicle id consider an Ls, but at the moment the TD5 is staying put,

we thrashed the tits of it at KOV, had no cooling issues, & it started everytime we hit the tit , we were running wide open with all the shift lights lit on several occasions, oil pressure was good,

i genuinely cant complain, if anything id like a little more power put it so it needs some more fuel in the map, at the moment its running almost zero smoke