lr4x4.com gets a mention in LRM

SteveG

on the note of land rover magazines.

Is it me or are the magazines now completely full of adverts?

LROI used to be quite good but its now either full of adverts or Disco 3/RR Sports articles.

To be honest anyone with 30-50 grand to spend (unfortunately not me :( ) wouldn't be using it off road anyway so its kind of pointless putting in the mag etc for showing off its tarmac bling.

On another surprising note one of the instructors at Glentarkie in Fife told me a year or so ago about the abilities of the Porsche Cayenne.

It was put to its limits around the site for some reason and all were very impressed with its abilities.

Anybody else heard of the same?

Grant

on the note of land rover magazines.

Is it me or are the magazines now completely full of adverts?

Grant

Regretably yes it's the same with magazines of all makes amd marques.....that is how they make their money.

Whilst on a boating holiday last month I bought a copy of 'Canal Boat' and guess what it's stuffed to the gunnels with ads, same as Computer Shopper, Personal Computer World, What Car, Top Gear Magazine.

They are all the same........

Yep

I have given up on all the UK 4x4 mags, and subscribe to USA and Austraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalian ones

The Uk mags are just junk, inc TOR who swore they were going to get better but haven't.

Most bow unbelevably to Scrap Iron Junk, adverts and "we bolt a towbar on 0 see out 7 page extraviganza" as to how we did it...or the "We look at a 2nd hand 4x4 and then state the F obvious" to take up space type articles.

Most of the UK mags employ "Journos" who are about profit sales numbers and probably huddle together for "Management focus groups"

Most of the USA and Austraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalian are managed by enthusiasts and boy does it show

There is not one UK mag worth 10% of its cover price, they all chase the same nonsense, talk about "Extreme " this and that and "Ultimate" this and that but most can't even come a close 3rd to Andrex

Nige

On another surprising note one of the instructors at Glentarkie in Fife told me a year or so ago about the abilities of the Porsche Cayenne.

It was put to its limits around the site for some reason and all were very impressed with its abilities.

Anybody else heard of the same?

Check this Cayenne out at Langdale Quest!

7.jpg

I dont think the owners were too impressed with its abilities! :lol:

should have stayed on the tarmac :hysterical: those & BMW X5,VW Tourag, Volvo XC's & similar are just overgrown estate cars.

The Cayenne is supposedly a good deal more capable off road than the rest of that list - I'd guess like most modern high performance 'off roaders' it comes with heavily road biased tyres as standard, though. Personally, I'd be scared to take anything that expensive in AsdaWaitrose car park, never mind off road...

Minivin, what engine/tranny have you got now? i recall (before all the **** started flying) that you were toying between a V8 and a 2.5 diesel....

which did you go for?

(please be diesel... please be diesel....) B) B)

Jamie

As Rogue has said, 3.5V8 with carbs, bejesus does it sound the dogs, had Twizzle (a Shires long-time member), saying he could here me from the otherside of Bunny Lane today :D I love petrols :lol:

The toureg isn't that bad, certainly not by the looks of this video, i reckon a standard 90 with open diffs would struggle in those situations. (right at the end of the video)

However I don't think a standard Toureg would have managed much of that course at all, judging by how much time the wheels spent in the air...

cheating gits, when you see it coming down the hill did you notice the nice concrete road?

The side view of it going up the hill makes you think it is working on loose ground, my wifes corrola could have made it up in those conditions (but not with her driving :P )

However I don't think a standard Toureg would have managed much of that course at all, judging by how much time the wheels spent in the air...

Just like a D3 or RRS, they do the same thing in those situations. and that is a standard Toureg, just with underbody protection.

Obviously isn't ever going to be a D3 or RRS, but out of the bunch mentioned, i think the Toureg deserves a bit more credit. I do agree though that the first few minutes of the video are a bit lame.

Just like a D3 or RRS, they do the same thing in those situations. and that is a standard Toureg, just with underbody protection.

Obviously isn't ever going to be a D3 or RRS, but out of the bunch mentioned, i think the Toureg deserves a bit more credit. I do agree though that the first few minutes of the video are a bit lame.

If you listen to the commentary, they say that 'the modifications make the Toureg a capable off-roader' - or words to that effect.

Looks like it's got diff locks to me, although I suppose that could just be traction control?

If you listen to the commentary, they say that 'the modifications make the Toureg a capable off-roader' - or words to that effect.

Looks like it's got diff locks to me, although I suppose that could just be traction control?

Don't they have difflocks as stock, or is that the Cayenne?

I did see a Cayenne at Woodlands not long after they were released... I was so shocked though I forgot to clock it's off roading abilities! :rolleyes::lol:

Jen - when's George finished? Eddie is now a properly rolling chassis

This week is officially 'sorting out the garage' week, which'll hopefully mean I'll be able to get to the front 1/2 of the vehicle :blink: Excellent news re: eddie - quite demoralising for me tho' as I'm probably going to be cutting George up soon! :rolleyes::ph34r:

Estimated time on Eddie then? Next Bunny Lane would be 17/11 then? Dan even spent a few hours on Bertha at teh weekend :o She's now 2" taller! He got very excited until I pointed out pumping up the tyres didn't count ;):lol:

Not sure about Eddie by the 17th, dad wants to get his MOT'd and playing by then I think so I'm now welding & grinding two vehicles in my spare time :(

Mind you, 17th is a good month away so you never know... how hard can it be to get all the rust out of a complete 109CSW body :o:ph34r::unsure::lol:

cheers

No problem! B) It looked most cool.

I take it George is coming together nicely? any pics?

:( Still coming appart! lol! I have the engine though, 3.5 V8 EFi, and am slowly collecting bits. Just sorting the chassis out and then 'modifying' will begin :o

No pics as yet, the avatar will change as progression occurs though! :D