Any one suggest a Stereo for the 90

Tried three different car stereos today and none of them light up. One switches the ariel feed on when you turn the knob but no lights or stuff in the window.

Decided to chuck them out and buy a new one.

Seein as it's just an old Defender, what sort of wireless/radio/stereo would you suggest.

Been looking at an Alba from Argos, its got an MP3 socket and a socket for memory stick so would suit my needs I think.

I just went and got a basic Sony one from Halfords when I bought my 90. If I recall correctly it was about £60, it's got CD and front aux-in so does all I need. These days a USB slot would be more common than the 1/8" jack I guess, but serves the same function.

In hindsight I should have bought one with green backlighting to match the rest of the dash but alas it is red!

Alba are rubbish, get on eBay and you can pick up Bluetooth/USB units pretty cheap. Either USB your music or connect your phone.

Alba are rubbish as in ??

They don't last ?

They are difficult to operate ?

They look rubbish ?

They are not loud enough ?

My phone doesn't have music and I cant work Bluetooth even if I might have it. By USB do you mean like a memory stick thing?

I just went and got a basic Sony one from Halfords when I bought my 90. If I recall correctly it was about £60, it's got CD and front aux-in so does all I need. These days a USB slot would be more common than the 1/8" jack I guess, but serves the same function.

In hindsight I should have bought one with green backlighting to match the rest of the dash but alas it is red!

Think the latest ones have switchable colours, not sure.

I went on eBay and bought the cheapest Deckless headunit I can find. I don't own or use CDs and having all my music on an sd card means I can listen to Dolly Parton and the wurzels even as I'm trialing.

Deckless units are also much shallower and lighter than a standard one. Mine was about £25 IIRC.

WILL

Ex-display bin at Halfords can yield some bargains (especially if you don't want/need the original packing & box). I've stuck with Sony and not been disappointed.

Thinking of nipping round to Halfrauds tomorrow, some stuff is not badly priced :)

Alba are just poor quality in general, my Sony player has USB for memory stick and Bluetooth for music and calls off my phone, surprisingly loud enough and got a good enough mic to have a decent conversation.

Think Alba will be better than my Sharp cassette player, its only got MW and LW

I had an Alba stereo system in the house years ago and it was very good, its in my mates garage now still going strong

I'd go with sony or kenwood... had both and never had any problems. Great volume and if you head to halfords you can always pick up a bargain on either brand and you won't be disappointed on quality. My last two were sony, one specifically for the disco with green backlighting and one with blue (had the specs I wanted but not the colour and for £65 I wasn't going to argue) for the defender, both had rear sub out (surprisingly useful on the defender with its tiny speakers, a rear sub for £60 can really make a difference to sound quality without looking too shopping centre car park at 9pm.) and usb in (either memory stick or iPhone/android phone) and 1/8" jack for those other devices you might have and cd player.

Don't bother with alba as others say... you'll only end up replacing it within 6 months.

Hope that helps

Mat

I'd go with sony or kenwood... had both and never had any problems. Great volume and if you head to halfords you can always pick up a bargain on either brand and you won't be disappointed on quality. My last two were sony, one specifically for the disco with green backlighting and one with blue (had the specs I wanted but not the colour and for £65 I wasn't going to argue) for the defender, both had rear sub out (surprisingly useful on the defender with its tiny speakers, a rear sub for £60 can really make a difference to sound quality without looking too shopping centre car park at 9pm.) and usb in (either memory stick or iPhone/android phone) and 1/8" jack for those other devices you might have and cd player.

Don't bother with alba as others say... you'll only end up replacing it within 6 months.

Hope that helps

Mat

Yes thanks, that helps.

What is a head unit and can speakers be plugged in to it?

Seen a few head units for sale, are they for fancy stereo thingys ??

I have a ministry of sound head unit in the garage that is spare. It has a cd and USB input. I had it fitted in my 110 but changed it for a spare Sony that I had. The Sony has a remote control and an auxiliary input so I can play the phone through it. (The remote is handy as I sometimes work in the back of the 110 when I am on the road, so I can control the stereo for the rear!).

I'd send you my old head unit for £15 plus post if of any interest....

I have a ministry of sound head unit in the garage that is spare. It has a cd and USB input. I had it fitted in my 110 but changed it for a spare Sony that I had. The Sony has a remote control and an auxiliary input so I can play the phone through it. (The remote is handy as I sometimes work in the back of the 110 when I am on the road, so I can control the stereo for the rear!).

I'd send you my old head unit for £15 plus post if of any interest....

If only I knew what a head unit was :unsure:

A head unit it basically the box that you have all the controls on, put your cd's in, plug your ipod into etc...

Speakers can be plugged in in two different ways; either using a seperate amplifier unsing the line out function on the head unit (Usually a lot more expensive and a lot more than most need for simply listening to the radio and playing their own music) or using the built in amp on the head unit, usually ranging from 45w to 60w depending on the unit you get but well able to put out enough sound with the right speakers to be over heard in any landy.

The most important thing is to check if you have and ISO connector (rectangular with 4 terminals wide) there is usually two if them either as one block or two separate connectors, one one for power and power related functions, and the other for speakers as below:

220px-ISO_10487_connector_pinout.svg.png

Wiring it up really isn't a huge issue and can be done in about two hours with the right equipment and a small bit of intuition if the connectors aren't there. As others have said... take a pic of all the connectors behind your rear windscreen wiper switches and let us see whats there and then people will be able to direct you a little easier.

Hope that helps

Mat

A head unit it basically the box that you have all the controls on, put your cd's in, plug your ipod into etc...

Speakers can be plugged in in two different ways; either using a seperate amplifier unsing the line out function on the head unit (Usually a lot more expensive and a lot more than most need for simply listening to the radio and playing their own music) or using the built in amp on the head unit, usually ranging from 45w to 60w depending on the unit you get but well able to put out enough sound with the right speakers to be over heard in any landy.

The most important thing is to check if you have and ISO connector (rectangular with 4 terminals wide) there is usually two if them either as one block or two separate connectors, one one for power and power related functions, and the other for speakers as below:

220px-ISO_10487_connector_pinout.svg.png

Wiring it up really isn't a huge issue and can be done in about two hours with the right equipment and a small bit of intuition if the connectors aren't there. As others have said... take a pic of all the connectors behind your rear windscreen wiper switches and let us see whats there and then people will be able to direct you a little easier.

Hope that helps

Mat

Stereo....

So a head unit is the new name for a car radio. Now I see :)

My Sharp LW / MW set is a head unit then, cause I can plug two speakers into the back of it

I can wire it all up easy enough as long as there is a plug in the back of the radio (head unit) only got two speakers so not a problem really.

Having a think and decide tomorrow on what to go for. :)

Yep. Your lw/mw unit is also a head unit. The one I have doesn't have a plug, but the wires are marked so its easy to see what each one needs to be connected to. My 110 doesn't have a plug in it, so I have wired in my radios manually in it. In reality, you need a permanent live, switched live, earth and speaker wires (plus aerial) - they are all there if you already have a radio fitted.

Yep. Your lw/mw unit is also a head unit. The one I have doesn't have a plug, but the wires are marked so its easy to see what each one needs to be connected to. My 110 doesn't have a plug in it, so I have wired in my radios manually in it. In reality, you need a permanent live, switched live, earth and speaker wires (plus aerial) - they are all there if you already have a radio fitted.

I have an eight pin plug in the dash, probably for a land rover stereo. I wired my wireless direct into the fuse box and left the plug just in case I wanted to fit a landy stereo at a later date.

The 90 used to be an ambulance and there is a bunch of redundant wires in the middle of the dash, I'll trace them all when I get time, plenty of rainy days ahead I spose :rolleyes:

Never seen any in our local Aldi shops

They come up from time to time on the weekly offers. A friend has one in his SIII, it cost him about £15 less than the one I bought a few weeks previous from Hellfrauds, and his came with bluetooth hands free (mine didn't), and a jack for an MP3 player (mine didn't)!

Tried three different car stereos today and none of them light up. One switches the ariel feed on when you turn the knob but no lights or stuff in the window.

Decided to chuck them out and buy a new one.

Seein as it's just an old Defender, what sort of wireless/radio/stereo would you suggest.

Been looking at an Alba from Argos, its got an MP3 socket and a socket for memory stick so would suit my needs I think.

Whatever is on offer atHalfords etc! Thats what I do, hell for £30-£50 if it only lasts a couple of years you ain't getting robbed!

They come up from time to time on the weekly offers. A friend has one in his SIII, it cost him about £15 less than the one I bought a few weeks previous from Hellfrauds, and his came with bluetooth hands free (mine didn't), and a jack for an MP3 player (mine didn't)!

They are really good for the money.

Seem to remember them being on special a few weeks ago, so may be a little while until they come back round.

Mind you, aiming for good sound Hi-Fi in a Defender is about as likely as a lemmings annual reunion.

Barry