Quick Attach Mudflaps

discomikey

First of all,

Mods, feel free to move this if you think its in the wrong section but this is where i thought most applicable.

Basically for a long time i have planned on attaching my mudflaps to Brian, with a means of quickly detaching them for off roading, so i dont reverse over them for the billionth time.

They will also be moved outboard so they sit flush with the edge of the body rather than in by an inch but thats nothing special just requires a little trimming.

At current they mount on effectively a piece of angle with 5 or 6 small screws/bolts through them. which can easily be ripped through and arent exactly quick to remove especially if they are siezed.

at first i was thinking 2 "dowels" and lynch pin type things fixed to the chassis with the angle section coming off with the rubber like so:

post-13725-0-28752100-1384198908_thumb.gif

but there is no means for removing slack or rattles, i dont want any kind of fiddly springs or anything that will create a gap between the angle and the chassis.

any ideas?

Retro: i think wingnuts could rattle loose or become stiff and not actually that quick in the end.

Dzus Fastners, not a bad idea, although i dont really want to be removing any galv on my chassis

i like the idea of the pins and some type of "anti slack" system although that has the same drawback!

You could use the dzus fasteners on the angle of the bracket - so that the rubber is removed whilst the brackets remain.

I might try that as it wouldn't even need and drilling of the bracket. The back of the fastener would be fixed or held against the rubber with the D ring half passing through the brackets hole.

interestig ideas guys,

this one (i guess Dzeus derived) caught my eye, no tools needed, good grip and looks like the loop will "fold" flat(ter),

could be used on the angle piece like Anderzander suggested, without my truck here does anyone know if the mudflap "angle" pieces are welded or bolted onto a series crossmember?

Why not just put antiluces on the rear face of the x member? You can get nice M8 A2 ones for very reasonable money.

Edit: or the front face, I have had great success putting mudflaps right up to the underneath of the wheelboxs to stop farmers eating lower bulb units, I suppose your lights aren't in that area but it might stop the x member getting pebble dashed as much.

Yes, I have quick release mud flaps, a few more pictures in my build thread which Bowie linked too.

They work well and mud can be cleared from them quite easily when you ant to refit them after off roading.

One of the difficulties with my previous design was the R clip had a much smaller hole to fit through (over the linch pins) and removing the mud could sometime be a pain.

I had thought about using the D-zeus fastners but the hole could fill up with mud and the way I was making my rear cross member it would create a hole into the crossmember and fil up with mud and water.

Steve

I use big hydraulic hose so they can flex a bit off road? Admittedly they go up not down. But they are just one big spanner to get on and off. And if you don't like them for flaps, they are also a great way to mount work lamps that can take a whump :)

BeastMudGaurdSupport2012.jpg

The square one is there to quick-release the rear crossmember ends.