Seems new Defenders get spline wear to.

Just seen photos on facebook of a post 2007 Defender with spline wear. Thought it may be of interest to owners of newer vehicles on here...... bit of a step backwards for Land Rover really considering past history of spline wear.

post-25689-0-51624700-1386321555_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-37966500-1386321520_thumb.jpg

This time spline wear is the other end of the shaft and the socket it fits into, looks to simply be a lack of lube problem once more.

This is the adaptor shaft which goes in the extension housing fitted to the back of the MT82 bearbox. It adapts the finely splined output of said gearbox into the more coarse spline we we all know and love and which fits into the LT230 input gear. Obviously the latter spline does fine as LT230s have had cross-drilled input gears for some time but the fine spline connection with the output shaft of the MT82 is not an oil-immersed joint - I believe the extension housing is dry. So it is fitted with grease at manufacture, and clearly there are several out there that didn't get enough!

Just a poor adaptation really. I'm sure there is a good and valid reason why they didn't just fill that housing with oil and let it be freely lubed, but I'm no engineer so can't come up with it!

LR need to employ some good old fashioned engineers as well as the university graduates that design everything on a computer. Don't get me wrong, modern technology is essential in engineering, but so is experience.

The amount of 'good old fashioned engineers' I meet who will design/spec something with zero reference to practicallity - especially maintability - continues to flabber my ghast on a weekly basis. I've found it's usually the grads, who, because they've been on the shop floor having their ear bent by the technicians, are more likely to think about RAM*! Exceptions to the rule in both cases of course, especially the pillocks (from both camps) who turn up on the shop floor in a suit and tie. But yes, no substitute for experience.

/OT-rant

*Reliability/ Accessibility / Maintainability

The amount of 'good old fashioned engineers' I meet who will design/spec something with zero reference to practicallity - especially maintability - continues to flabber my ghast on a weekly basis. I've found it's usually the grads, who, because they've been on the shop floor having their ear bent by the technicians, are more likely to think about RAM*! Exceptions to the rule in both cases of course, especially the pillocks (from both camps) who turn up on the shop floor in a suit and tie. But yes, no substitute for experience.

/OT-rant

*Reliability/ Accessibility / Maintainability

Landrover used to be big on that , even with the problem it was to get something classed as approved accessory , but that seemed to slowly change as the series vehicles ended and the modern era of defender et al came in :ph34r: