Just a quick question?!

I have a defender 90, and before I owned it the previous owner had fit a two inch lift and 33 inch maxxis bighorn tyres.. But has then fit extra wide wheel archs.. Would I be ok to remove these and just stick standard ones on without the tyres stick out past them? It never leaves the road so spray from the wheels offroad is not a problem! Cheers in advance

R

If the standard ones still cover the tread of the tyres then you would be fine putting them back on, however it is likely the previous owner put the extra wide ones on to keep the treads covered and keep the vehicle legal. You can be prosecuted for having tyres sticking out past the bodywork.

You will no doubt find loads of people that say they never have any problems from the police with them sticking out too far, however it's up to you if you want to risk it.

the tyre tread MUST be covered when viewed from directly above & looking downwards to the ground/tyre, it's not a MOT item but if protruding to much could be noted as a advisory, usually this falls under vehicle construction & use regulations.

(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (5), every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

get a spirit level and put it up vertical against the side of your tyre/arch . you can then measure the gap between the straight edge and the tread, and/or the gap between it and the arch.

then its just simple maths :) im sure someone here could measure the width of a standard arch for you

I'd guess that you don't like the look of the big arches, and I can sympathise with that, but please make sure the standard arches have a fair overhang of the tyres if swapping back - it's not just a matter of avoiding trouble with the authorities; it's a matter of not causing other road users major visibility issues in foul weather. From a practical perspective, wide tyres don't help off road (except on sand or deep snow) and are dire on road, increasing aquaplaning and reducing grip below aquaplane speeds, so you may be well served by fitting tyres and wheels closer to standard width along with the original size arches.

• 2 weeks later...