Headlights don't work

My headlights - dipped and main - occasionally would not switch on at all. I did the normal thing and changed the switch. All seemed fine for a couple of weeks (mainly driving during daylight) until last night when the lights would not come on again. I don't think it can be a fuse as the lights are separately fused (4 fuses).

Any ideas where the fault lies? BTW the sidelights work with the switch ok.

Which switch have you replaced? Both the off-side-headlamp and the main/dip switches are marginal for the currents they are expected to carry and do tend to fail.

The usual one to go is the off-side-headlamp switch: the spring-loaded brass "saddle" that the lever moves makes poor contact with the three contact-studs, gets hot, melts the plastic... also the three contact-studs are riveted to metal tags that take the three wires - these rivet-to-tag connections make poor contact so get hot... and the stud then sinks into the plastic to a point where the moving 'saddle' will not make contact.

The answer I've adopted is a normal 30A relay used to take the load off the 'headlamp' part of this switch. It can easily be concealed in the plastic shroud round the switchgear.

The other possible failure mode ios with the main/dip switch. Again, the contacts melt.

Third consideration is that - on a UK-spec TD5 at least - there's an ignition-controlled relay in the headlamp circuit which only allows power to the headlamps when the ignition is on and you're not actually cranking the engine. If this relay fails you get no headlamps.

Fourthly - the "headlamp flash" circuit on the stalk is powered separately - you can at least check that your headlamps are OK [fuses/bulbs intact, earth connections good] by trying to flash the headlamps since this provides headlamp-power independent of the relay and the off-side-headlamp switch circuit.

I know about the contacts melting as I changed many burnt-out switches on other people's Defenders. I have fitted relays to the dip beam to avoid this. It was done quite a few years ago.

I think the answer is the ignition-switch controlled relay. Is it one of those yellow things in the fusebox?

It could be the main/dip switch.

The headlamp flashers do not work either - is this a good clue?

I think the answer is the ignition-switch controlled relay. Is it one of those yellow things in the fusebox?

Yes the relays are in the central fuse-box. [There were 4 on my TD5 until I removed the "electric windows" one and replaced it with a jumper so the E/W are now usable even without the ignition being on]

There should be a decal on the inside of the big plastic cover that tells you which one is the headlamp relay. You can swap the yellow relays round to 'test by substitution'. When you pull the relays out, look at the contact pins for any signs of melting or "blueing" that might hint at nasty things going on inside.

There is no decal, but the two yellow relays are identical - at least the numbers for the connections are the same. Tried swapping them around to no effect. No signs of burning.

BTW when I switch on the headlamps the indicator green light comes on. When I flash the headlights or go onto main beam the blue light comes on and I can hear a relay clicking.

There is no decal, but the two yellow relays are identical - at least the numbers for the connections are the same. Tried swapping them around to no effect. No signs of burning.

BTW when I switch on the headlamps the indicator green light comes on. When I flash the headlights or go onto main beam the blue light comes on and I can hear a relay clicking.

That sounds more like you have an earthing problem - or something horribly melted/shorting in the main/dip/indicator-switch area!

• 6 years later...

Jim, you said you fitted a relay to the dip circuit, but did you also add one for main beam?  If so, check the outputs of the trigger wires to the relay control pin, which I presume is the original wiring that used to run all the way to the lamps.  If the relay is getting the signal to operate as you make the switch selections, then you know it’s not the switch gear or relays in the vehicle fuse box.

Check the relays you added are getting power from the battery - it could be a bad connection or blown fuse(s).  If the relays have power and are being triggered correctly, check their output terminal voltages as you operate the switches to verify the relays are working.  Then check the voltages on the connections of the H4 bulb socket; if you have good voltages there, then an earthing fault between those connector blocks and the vehicle body are the likely cause.

Be aware that checking voltage with a multimeter to find where the circuit breaks can be misleading.  A bad contact, because of corrosion, dirt or a broken wire with just a few strands remaining, can allow the voltage to look normal because their is no current, but the current demanded by the appliance can outstrip that available in a faulty circuit and drop the voltage.  I had that happen chasing a failed horn - the colts looked good everywhere when I had the horn disconnected from its wire, all the way to the end of that wire, and when I ran a tempest wire directly to the horn it sounded, but when I reconnected the original wire, it still didn’t work and the voltage dropped off - it transpired to be that grey corrosion of the contacts in the fuse box.

• 1 year later...

Seems I am suffering this problem at the moment. It all started with a buzzing on the pink dip/dim relay, and no lights apart from side lamps and high beam. So I replaced the pink relay thinking it was at fault, but the new unit buzzes once the lights are switched on. I replaced the small light switch back in the summer, and the new unit was a genuine unit. I have pulled the cover off and contacts look fine on this swithc, no burning or sunken connectors.

When I remove the pink relay and jump the connectors to remove the dip/dim function the lights work.

Before I order a new indicator stalk is there a basic check I can do to confirm the stalk is at fault?

Edited by rusty_wingnut

Have you checked the voltage on the relay control circuit input with the lights on?  You may be getting a voltage drop from faulty wiring or a bad switch somewhere, so the relay control side isn’t getting enough energy to stay open.

New stalk didn't improve matters either, so rather bemused I started to remove wiring and circuit test. I tested the bulkhead side earth (even though I had bridged this already) Shamefully I'll admit that in all the wobbling, and checking of the pink relay the buzzing stopped! 

Possibly a dirty connector down stream, or a broken wire. But for now it is working again. I will investigate further as and when.