Synthetic winch cable

simonr

Val had(note the use of the word had) a Very large flower pot with a large wisteria in it from the previous house

she wanted it up by the summer house so I managed to get the pot into a wheel barrow(with plant and soil still inside)

fixed the grnd anchor up near the summer house and then connected the winch hook to the wheel barrow

Val then(under extreme protest) was at the winch controls as I guided the wheel barrow up the slope next to the garage, all was going well till the wheel hit a stump and my calls to stop winching although in time did not take into account the overrun (milemarker owners no comments req) on the 8274 as it pulled the barrow a little further tipping said wheel barrow dispensing flower pot/plant and soil onto the ground chopping the new plasma rope(I was unhappy at this) and then the pot descended the slope crashed into a pile of blocks near the garage, smashing the pot (Val was not happy at this and still isn't, it is like don't mention the war re this episode)

Only ever snapped mine when it over wrapped and caught on top of winch bumper hole. Same with being there when they've gone, always catching on something and it doesn't take much to do it.

If only there was some sort of item to stop the rope from doing this. Something like a stainless steel tube thingy shaped in a W shape! ;);););););)

Steve

Val had(note the use of the word had) a Very large flower pot with a large wisteria in it from the previous house

she wanted it up by the summer house so I managed to get the pot into a wheel barrow(with plant and soil still inside)

fixed the grnd anchor up near the summer house and then connected the winch hook to the wheel barrow

Val then(under extreme protest) was at the winch controls as I guided the wheel barrow up the slope next to the garage, all was going well till the wheel hit a stump and my calls to stop winching although in time did not take into account the overrun (milemarker owners no comments req) on the 8274 as it pulled the barrow a little further tipping said wheel barrow dispensing flower pot/plant and soil onto the ground chopping the new plasma rope(I was unhappy at this) and then the pot descended the slope crashed into a pile of blocks near the garage, smashing the pot (Val was not happy at this and still isn't, it is like don't mention the war re this episode)

Do you script write for "Last of the Summer Wine"?

I can see it now :o:D

John

Hi All,

It is really interesting to see this debate appear more often on the various forums these days.

Makes a real change from a straight synthetic v steel debate - something I have had to wade into loads of times over the last 6 years, yup that is how long I have been selling Plasma.

There are more and more sellers of synthetics winch lines appearing all the time, all claiming to be the best.

If I were in the market to buy rather than sell I would look around at all the different makes, ask how each performs and make a balanced judgement on the feedback I got.

Really, just the way I buy most things in life.

Sizes and colours currently available in Plasma within the UK:-

I sell Purple, Orange and Yellow. The Yellow is sold exclusively to Devon 4x4 as it is their corporate colour.

The Orange was supplied to the G4 Land Rover vehicles and is available through myself and Devon 4x4.

Purple is the universally acknowledged colour instantly recognisable as Plasma, supplied to all my distributors.

Sizes - 8mm (11700lbs NBS) suitable for self recovery and green laning for most 8000 - 9000lbs winches.

9.5mm (17500lbs NBS) suitable for heavier usage/serious play days etc.

11mm (21500lbs NBS) suitable for serious winch challenge type events.

12mm (31300lbs NBS) suitable for lunatics & serious, modified winches - Ladoga, Jez Goodwin etc.

14mm (37900lbs NBS) has never been supplied in the UK for vehicle mounted electric or hydraulic

winches used in the offroading scene. It is to thick and as a result, you don't get very much on, the

law of deminishing returns applies here.

Hope the above information helps - in general, the reason for using the heavier grades for winch challenge events is the increased resistance to abrasion damage & shock loads likely to be inflicted on the poor, innocent line!!

Not the increased strength

I would like to add that looking after your line is most important. I did two winch events, the RFC and another event in the uk with a 9.5mm plasma before changing it. It never broke and never ever have I doublerigged my winch (being a PTO winch and a fairly light vehicle). I was just always able to bulldozer my landy throught the roughest carp you have ever seen, all on a single plasma line.

Clean your line after every event or more importantly, after every day of competition and it will look after you.

I have seen several breakages (including abused plasma), but none on my winch.

And Yes I was featured on Andys website, but only after the RFC, and I did pay for those lines!

Daan

Andy thanks for the info

any chance of a forum members Discount?

doesn't have to be massive but I'm sure a few more sales will come from a members discount, similar to the one X-eng/Llama4x4 offer.

if not never mind and thanks for the info again.

I'm yet to fit the Plasma12 (purple) I have as the old one is still up to the job, I do carry it with me just incase though on events.

Thanks Andy-T,,, Much appreciated info,

The line on my 8274 is, or was purple, so sounds like plasma12 ?? so will go for this again, so never had a problem, just need a bit more length !!

What's the best option for the 8274 ?? 125 foot of 11mm ? :unsure:

what's everyone else got ???

Did i hear someone say a forum members Discount ?? ;)

Tim

125ft of 11mm fits but that is too much on IMHO

I'm happier with 100ft and use a strop if I need to

other wise the majority of pulls are with lots of rope on the drum

meaning less pulling power from the winch.

What he ^^^ said. I fitted 125 and it was too much - there was no room for bunching and the pull was noticable reduced. On a standard drum you don't want to go above 100ft IMHO.

What he ^^^ said. I fitted 125 and it was too much - there was no room for bunching and the pull was noticable reduced. On a standard drum you don't want to go above 100ft IMHO.

Thanks Guys, 100 ft of 11mm it is then, as what i have on there already, (but with a knot !!!)

Do have 100ft of 9.5 bowrope, but feel a little on the thin side, that can go on the rear, when i get round to it !!

Given the level of interest in synthetic rope, how about the forum buying (or co-ordinating the purchase of) an entire reel and selling to members at cost plus a little bit?

No idea of the length of a reel, but even if it's 2000' that's only 20 ropes.......

There are plenty of members who know how to splice etc so making up lines shouldn't be a problem....

Just a thought.

Hi Y'All,

It was never my intention to tout for business on this forum - in fact I believe it is against the philosophy and ethos of all forums.

However, the discount question has been asked, so I will answer it as follows:-

I am happy to offer a 10% discount off the price of the lines to LR4x4 forum members.

Mention LR4x4 when talking to me and I will apply the said discount to your order.

Andy Thomlinson.

Ruftraks UK Limited.

www.ruftraks.co.uk

mine are both 9.5mm IIRC

why not chop the knot out and replice?

After siting on the end of the rope, at max length out, whist Jim/Victor flapped about :P think I fancy investing in a new one !!!!, and maybe splicing the current into a extension piece !!

If the forum are not in a position, to buy a discounted reel,s worth, I have not problem in doing it, and passing on the balance at cost, !! so long as enough members are interested :unsure:

Tim a new one is always worthwhile for Peace of mind

the one you have can easily be replaced to a usable extension

I'll happily re splice it for you.

the offer to buy a few is also a very kind one.

best get the money upfront though IMHO.

the Forum could purchase a decent amount but would have to make a few ££ form sales otherwise the loss of interest on the account balance

wouldn't be good practice from the treasurer :)

i think thats whats onthe front of mine at the moment. if not then its 11mm. so i would be after 12/11mm. i have 9.5 on the rear and as Tim says its prob more than capable jsut doesnt look upto the job.