What diff is this?

Eightpot

^^

Wot he says.

Count the teeth and also the ones on the pinion, then divide the CW teet by Pinion teeth

3.54 = V8 90 4 Pin or Factory HD 4 Pin Upgrade 24 spline shafts

4.7 = Series HD 4 pin 10 spline drive shafts ?

16mm Shaft in centre

Looks like Prob metric casing so I'll guess 4.7

Must go, anorak needs a dryclean now :rofl:

^^^^ Hybrid, lol

They fitted them at the start of Td5 era 110's too. This one's from a 2006 ROW spec 300tdi next to a salisbury and 2 pin centre which might be of interest to someone with similar outdoor clothing habits as ourselves.

P5050020.jpg

The 2nd one looks like a Late TD5 Long Nose casing, the insides are from a P38 Short Nose unit

The SN 4 Pin units are ONLY found on rear Axles of P38 4.6 engined models ONLY and in Late TD5 110 Rear Axles, so fetching good money now and with P38 dying getting trickier to source.

..............Anorak only went in for quick clean :D

I would also add that we had lots of problems with the later vehicles with the four pin diff, they do not stand up to hard use like the Salisbury's do.

We changed loads of them and used to retrofit Salisbury axles from accident damaged vehicles. The narrower hubs and stupid wheel bearing setup was another minus point of axles with these diffs fitted.

The 2nd one looks like a Late TD5 Long Nose casing, the insides are from a P38 Short Nose unit

The SN 4 Pin units are ONLY found on rear Axles of P38 4.6 engined models ONLY and in Late TD5 110 Rear Axles, so fetching good money now and with P38 dying getting trickier to source.

Interesting ...

When the original 2 pin in the rear axle of my 1995 2.5 DSE failed, Ashcroft offered me a 4 pin, or a 4 pin, or a 4 pin, so I fitted the proffered 4 pin. Did the 38A have Short Nose and Long Nose possibilities, or does the '38A' specification mean it must be a Short Nose variant?

I suppose I'm wondering where Ashcroft sourced the 4 pin units from; a bulk buy perhaps, and whether that source has now dried up?

Regards.

If that was aimed at me, I followed your link and note that it isn't claimed to fit the 38A. Nor do I recall spending anything like that amount, but my memory might have wiped unpleasant details like that :-)

The first pic you have is a genuine factory four pin long nose unit. It has a standard pinion combined with a thin p38 style crown wheel, they did not do these in 10 spline. The second one you posted is a retro fitted four pin ( you can see where it's been machined down). All p38's use short nose BUT not all are four pin as Nige has said (4.6) Re: the design of the wheel bearings on late 110" axles - simples - take the spacer/shim out and the stake nut and fit the old type locking tab and two nuts!

always confuses me why they say 4 pin and 2 pin, i mean dont get me wrong, the 4 pin kinda makes sense even though it is usually a single piece haha. the 2 pin though? yes there is half the "pinnage" (technical term there!) than a 4 pin but there is in effect only 1 pin!

my coat, why thankyou...