2007 57 landrover defender 110 CSW chassis v5 and vin plates

Chelsea, you can use a second hand chassis and the parts from the older vehicle together, but you need a Vihicle Identity Check and a Q plate with a new VIN at the end of it. Wht is utterly illegal is to use either the TD5's or the older vehicle's identity. The ebay sellers in the posts above are clearly acting criminally to aid ringing.

• Like 1

Now that realy is pushing it!. Just the i/d has absolutely no legal use (though the number plate might if it could be retained I suppose).

A second hand chassis with no i/d could at least be used for a trialler or similar.

Is it actually illegal to buy and sell veicle identifications?

Silly question I know but tis is all based on the assumption that they are bought and sold to ring stolen cars and to sell on to some unwitting imbercile the ID so that the entire stolen car turned a profit and some unsuspecting buyer builds a car based on the ID then looses it to the old bill as it represents the one stolen 5yrs previous.

Any reasons to be for or against the prosecution for selling a vehicle IDs?

As far as I am aware it is not actually technically illegal to sell a car ID, BUT it would be illegal to try and attach it to another car.

Every car has an identity and should have an ID based on that, a car that has never been registered or is imported needs to have a new id applied for, same for a vehicle that has been built from parts of other cars (typically kit cars).

To have several car ID's (V5 and chassis plates) for vehicles that have been scrapped or exported in your possesion would be seen as highly suspisious to say the least as they would have no legal use and the most common use would be to give a fake ID to another vehicle for some reason, either to try and make out it is tax exempt (quite common) or because the other vehicle is stolen (very common!).

Old vehicles do occasionall legally lose the ID, if the plate have been removed and paper work lost when a car has been stored, then it is dug out by another owner many years later, if this is the case and some marks can be found then a new (age related if provable) ID can be issued quite laegally.

The only possible way that I can see of legally using one of these ID's would be to build a car using enough brand new parts (for the correct era model ie 200 tdi parts for a 200 tdi ID) to meet the points system criteria.

Could you get a 200TDI Chassis, axles, suspension etc brand new?

As far as I'm aware you never own the vehicles ID, it is allocated to you for the vehicle. A chassis alone does not have the entitlement to retain the registration whether it has the corresponding vin plate or not, as it does not meet the points system from DVLA. So effectively buying a chassis alone with ID still does not allow you to return it to the road legally. Although trying to prove that the rolling stock used in a rebuild was not originally from that vehicle would prove difficult other than the engine of course. The selling of an ID alone really has only one purpose, It would be a stretch of the imagination to believe there is any legitimate reason for trading in them.

• Like 1

I have in the past purchased a brand new genuine TD5 chassis direct from LR. That came with no numbers stamped into it. My assumption was that I had to stamp my number into the new chassis. Went through 5 or 6 MOT's in the time I owned it wioth no issues

I have in the past purchased a brand new genuine TD5 chassis direct from LR. That came with no numbers stamped into it. My assumption was that I had to stamp my number into the new chassis. Went through 5 or 6 MOT's in the time I owned it wioth no issues

most MOT just check the VIN plate on brake servo/pedal mounting, My old chassis stamped number was never checked against the plate or otherwise, my new galv chassis wasn't checked for VIN stamp on the MOT after the chassis swap.

It is illegal for anybody but the vehicle manufacturer and VOSA ? to stamp a VIN number. So I have been told

The only people that have checked my chassis number on the chassis are customs when my agent gave them the wrong information when returning to the UK

Over here they like to scrape the paint off and expose the chassis number in bare metal to ensure chassis is as it should be, and due to the chassis number now being bare metal, unless you paint it again quick smart then expect 3 to 5 years rnning and then get a red card for the chassis number not being legible, then you have to get approved duccumentation from LR that they stamped the number back on the chassis, normally costing around €150 and a re-test, not to mention time of course!!! I re-painted and waxed it to protect it again and will do the same every year.