What light for the back of my 110?

reb78

A while ago, I got the non functioning switch and wiring to the light on the back of my 110 working.

When it was setup, an old spotlight that was originally on the front of the vehicle was put on the rear. It's not really suitable as it is a spot and I need a broader beam as I want to light the area behind the vehicle, not a point on the floor behind me with no light spread close up.

What do you guys use for this purpose. I don't really want to spend masses. It is something that I also use as a reversing light when off road or in fields too.

Camel Trucks had Hella 5060's as rear work lights, and of all the trucks I've been involved with, I have to admit, I think it works really well and is not really expensive, sometime pick them up 2nd hand for peanuts too.

Hi John,

I have two 18 watt LEDs fitted to the back they are the flood beam ones here is a picture of them fitted and I will try to find an old post on here I made with images of them illuminated at night.

They put out a huge amount of light and you don't have to worry about flattening your battery as much as twin 55w work-lights would.

Cheers

J2J

post-13733-0-91493300-1403288331_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-95859000-1403288344_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another vote for LED here as well.

One 27w unit mounted above and to the left of the door.

Gives plenty of light for working at the back of the motor hitching trailers etc.

I have put a switch inside the back door to switch it on with the ignition off. Once the ignition is live, the supply to the light is cut, keeping everything legal(ish).

I have another switch on the dash to use it as an extra reversing light in poor conditions, when seeing anything in the mirrors is a lottery. Again this is wired via a relay, and is only live when reverse is selected.

HTH

J2J, Phots would be great thank you, I have worklights on the rear of my 90 with a single LED bulb in them to replace the existing h-whatever size bulb was in them and they just about light up the area when I'm using them as reverse lights, and I also use them as tent type lights as I have a drive away awning I use for camping with my 90 too, So to get more light from a similar unit would be very beneficial all round, Thankyou for showing me what you've done for the lights on your rover.

John

When i was looking at this for my RR I wanted something with a little more flexibility. I have a marine spot mounted on the roof. Like an American police car A pillar lamp except vertical mount. I have control of it through the roof via a twist and pull knob near my rear view mirror. It easily lights up everything to the rear, or in any direction I need, and even though it's technically a spot my one throws out a hell of a lot of ambient light. Easily enough to have lit the whole area to the side of the car when I've been setting up tents etc. It's stainless steel and cost me about €60 in a chandlery. You've no idea how handy it's been in a whole raft of unexpected situations.

They are the same as J2J has, we sell led ones at work that look identical but they are twice the price! I also bought some LED lamps ones a few years ago and they looked the same also.

Something like these...eBay doofah

This is the best pic I have of the mounting, I put them on their side as it were so I can swivel them round to point to the o/s or n/s respectively as for output I would say 3x my headlights on full beam.post-1505-0-64212400-1403340834_thumb.jpg

Will.

• Like 1