300tdi or Td5?

Sorry if this has been asked before I'm sure it has.

I'm I guess a newbie to LR. Although had some experience growing up with them. Folks had a late "L" plate 300tdi 90. And they now have a 54 plate disco.

From a young age I always wanted a 110 pref a 300tdi (always thought and told the best derv).

Now grown up its time to sell some toys and find my self a nice 110 County. For work and play plus family outings.

So as the title is the 300tdi a better option? I'm a fairly useful mechanic. And judging from my own experience the 300tdi gives less trouble, especially as would one day like to tour Europe.

Cheers Murray, Pembrokeshire

In my limited experience, mainly of other peoples vehicles, I'd say that, if a Td5 is going well it's a good option. However, as an electronics engineer, I know that electronics and cars don't mix particularly well and sorting out associated problems can be an expensive trial and error exercise. That's why I went for a 300 and the cheaper tax on a pre March 2001 vehicle.

Seriously , would suggest that you get the best 300tdi , and then if intended long term ownership , rebuild it on a galv chassis . Either td5 or 300tdi , will need a careful look at , from a corrosion point of view . So when you budget probably look at 2/3 for purchase and 1/3 for rectification . Auto gearbox works well behind the 300tdi as well . Better 2nd row and if needed third row seating is a bit of a priority from passenger pov JMHO

Lol, it's the 300Tdi v TD5 debate once more, it could the year 2000 all over again ;) Both are now getting long in the tooth, 300Tdi's especially. Buy on condition and not year. Finding the right one that hasn't been through the hands of half a dozen or more owners, any one or more of which may have been a clueless tinkerer, could well be a challenge. Unless you want something who's panels aren't converting to white dust and steelwork taking on the appearance of a pie crust steer clear of ex farm vehicles or anything that has been used near the coast. Otherwise take some time to read back through the umpteen bazillion threads that already exist on here regarding the merits or otherwise of each engine :i-m_so_happy:

Just got me another new Puma 110 XS USW so I guess you'll know what I'll say ;)

I've had 2 disco td5s, we have a 110 300tdi farm pickup and previous to that had a 110 td5 hi-cap. My current rebuild is a 200tdi but is being fitted with the intention of a td5 upgrade if and when the 200 expires.

Both are great engines, buy whichever model suits your driving and as mentioned previously is in the best order. Did well over 100k on the discoverys and only had the oil in the loom fault once, prior to popular belief at the time that landys of the late 90s and early 00s were unreliable (my shogun broke down more often). The 300tdi is simple and easy to fix but archaic compared to the td5.

If you can, drive both then buy the one you like.

I'd look for one with nice doors & trim - the engine is the least of your worries. If you go for the post 2002 TD5s you get the newer dash, the newer axle and the 15p engine. OTOH if you aren't in a rush you might find a nice 300tdi that already has the galv chassis. One went on ebay a few weeks ago, galv chassis, Ashworh half shafts, VNT turbo, auto box, Exmoor trim seats and looked really good bodywork for less than £8k. You pays yer money & takes yer choice. The 300tdis are generally going to have chassis issues of some sort.. A friend with a TD5 110 is thrilled to get 30mpg, My 300 generally on short journeys does about 26-27 (don't check now, too depressing)

Not that this is massively important but what mpg are people getting from the two?

90TD5 Station Wagon - I get about 25MPG cruising gently at the legal-limit-and-a-bit on motorways (lets say averaging 75MPH). In stop-start urban/semi-urban conditions with lots of junctions and traffic-lights and roundabouts where you never get a chance to use any gear higher than 3rd - something like 22MPG.

Sounds a bit low for a TD5... But if it's a genuine 75 (not speedo version) I suppose that would be quite high RPM.....

When my engine was standard

- Before Overdrive installed, cruising at 60 ish it returned 28 MPG on long runs.

- With Roverdrive Overdrive, 255/85 KM2's and a genuine cruising speed of 65 MPH, I used to return 31 MPG on long runs.

With Alisport exhaust manifold, VGT, big PWR intercooler & re-map from IRB (Inc overboost box), custom exhaust from Griffin.....

- Driving in a "spirited" fashion can happily be as low a 22 mpg.... but big smiles all round...

- Long runs at 70 return 30 MPG now.... (But down as low as 25 if Cruise Control used !)

My average since I've owned the TD5 is 27 MPG and includes a real mixture of commuting, long runs, off-roading / lanes & driving to make me smile....

Bought it with 55k on the clock 2 years ago... Now 103k and no engine issues at all. Obviously the changes to the engine, Overdrive, Tyres etc. have changed over that time and my average cruise speed increased to a genuine 70 cruise rather than 60 - 65 before modifications....

The TD5 has good low down torque, I can generally go on lanes in 2nd gear (Not Low box) where vehicles like 200TDi are in Low / third gear to get the balance of revs / turbo / torque they need...

Neil

I've never driven or owned a 300 TDi so cannot compare....

I had a 300 TDI for around 7 years and only sold it because (a) it needed a fair bit of work as it had done 175K miles and (b) I could afford to change it for something a bit younger © at the time I lived in the LEZ and my hardtop was not compliant!!!

The TD5 has bags more torque and is more civilised (but it does have heated seats, electric windows, central locking etc!)

Seriously though the TD5 chassis is made from flattened baked bean cans (NO! forget that, baked bean cans are thicker!) The TD5 fuel economy is a joke! My 300 TDI would get around 33 MPG cruising around 60 on a motorway. Around town I would get about 25 MPG.

Alas with the TD5 the best I can get is 27 MPG cruising at 60 and about 22 around town!

Had a 300tdi and pulled the engine to fit a td5 and auto. The td5 is more refined and with the right map and intercooler etc can make a huge grin on your face. I used to be put off about the td5 with it's know issues but reality is that there's thousands of these engines out there and how many people rave about it when they are running great compared to those when it's not running. I guess the key thing is how well looked after it is.