Best way to clean series III breakes after oil in the drum

xychix

What is the best way to clean my brakes?

I failed MOT on the left front brake, and this was after we removed the drum, cleaned the oil with some petrol.

The brakepad have been cleaned with petrol and set on fire several times to burn the oil out.

Still MOT showed a 69% difference between the front left and front right brake.

A good degreaser can work, I use some stuff called Astonish engine degreaser, quid a bottle and after spraying and rubbing it in with a brush, wash it off with water. Don't use solvent based degreasers/thinners as it can make a mess of the friction material.

You could try popping them in the dishwasher!!!

Otherwise you could use washing up liquid and a nail brush, or, failing that, soak the other side in oil!!!!!!!

(Kidding - brakes not to be messed with - New shoes both sides).

G.

Offcourse I wan't good brakes together with some other stuff to improve / take care of.

For now I've only got 2 weeks left in France and I need it trough MOT in those 2 weeks :)

will start another topic on steering issue.

Hi I have found that scrubbing the shoes with bio washing powder and leaving them to soak for a while. I found that they were as good as new that. However I suspect that the efficiency of this would depend on the softness of the brake material

Regards

Tim

I got the brakes of and there is oil in there again. Meaning I'll have to solve a oil leak before redoing the brakes.

I've found the leak, just under the spring of the brakes the oil seeps trough.

Does anyone have a partnumber of the seal that's likely behind there??

post-82156-0-21313700-1407699983_thumb.jpg

How about BRAKE CLEANER? :rtfm:

You can buy a gallon of it from the motor factors for not very much, plus a trigger spray bottle, that'll keep you cleaning & degreasing things for ages.

From my experience oil makes drum brakes very grabby, rather than ineffectual, although neither are really optimal for road use.

• Like 1

Sometimes, depending on locality, replacement brake shoes are not so easy to source where and when you need them. I have recovered oil soaked brake linings with an initial wash down with Brake Clean, followed by a bit of heat from a gas torch to sweat out the remaining oil, followed by a second wash in brake clean.

Sometimes, depending on locality, replacement brake shoes are not so easy to source where and when you need them. I have recovered oil soaked brake linings with an initial wash down with Brake Clean, followed by a bit of heat from a gas torch to sweat out the remaining oil, followed by a second wash in brake clean.

Like I said, just boil them and the fluid comes out ;)

Be careful if they're 'bonded' linings though: prolonged immersion in water or solvents can cause the bond to weaken and fail - then the linings drop off!

Happened to a friend's Volvo that sat for a week with its rear-end in 18 inches of water during the floods earlier this year - a month or so after it had been dried-out the rear handbrake-shoes [which use the inside of the brake-disc as a 'drum'] had their linings de-bond and one rear wheel locked solid.

• 4 weeks later...

How much are a new set of brake shoes ?? I'd guess less than your annual life insurance permium -- replace them, have the drums machined at the same time and bed them in properly and feel confident every time you need to use them in an emergency.

I will replace them at one time.

I needed a quick fix for MOT-revisit since passing the date I needed a full retest.

I cleaned them out 3 times and got trough MOT :) also have been playing with the vacuum a bit to get some more brake power (still miserable)

I've already ordered my first 37 parts in order to get the car driving as I want it to, so don't be affraid I pushed it trough MOT and stick with that state :)