Allbright solenoids

unclebill

Looks like I've finally cooked the solenoids, so its time to fit Allbrights I suppose, South coast area, any suggestions, looked on the tech archives and got a phone number, said something about £70, is that each or for the kit, any other ideas anybody.

Cheers Bill

Note to Brighty, I know you gave me a couple, but there somewhere in that black hole of a garage of mine.

Be careful there are some allbright lookalike copies out there...cant be as good

I did a bit of testing on a Chinese, Albright copy from Winch Solutions. I was actually very impressed!

It handled repeated on/off's at 1300A load (non inductive) with very little scarring and no welding of the contacts. (Performed by shorting out two Hawker PC680's in parallel).

The contacts were Silver plated Copper and really quite chunky.

Coils were left energised for several hours without problems. They did get warm, but it would be fair to say they are continuously rated.

The best bit was the waterproofing. I left it submerged to a depth of 1m for 24 hours and there was no leakage whatsoever.

I had a few criticisms, but they were all cosmetic - things like 3 out of the four terminals had 5/16UNC bolts and the fourth M8 - why not all M8? The connections to the coil used little screw terminals which were a bit fiddly. I believe these have been changed though. The next one I saw had the same type of spades used on the real thing.

I was rather surprised and impressed. The retail cost of them is good too.

There's not much from China I would rate - but they seem to have put some effort in to these! I have a sneaky suspicion these or similar are what most retailers are selling at the moment.

Si

Guest diesel_jim
I had a few criticisms, but they were all cosmetic - things like 3 out of the four terminals had 5/16UNC bolts and the fourth M8 - why not all M8?

Sounds like a genuine LR product then! :lol:

The warn hand controller switches the earth as well as the positive.

You do not need to worry about this if you earth the solenoid.

Black and green are the switch wires (in and out)

And white is the power wire (live)

hope that helps

Jim :)