Engine nearly out

JeffR

So it's only taken me a week to almost get the engine out of a Disco - to the person of doubtful parentage who LOCKTITED every bell housing nut and bolt as well as using lock washers- I really hate you with a passion that is indescribable.

Any way said motor will be out very shortly, so intend to do rear crank oil seal, clutch, timing belt, re-seal sump. Anything else anyone can think of whilst engine is out?

While you are doing the sump would it be worth looking at the state of the bearing shells?

Would be nice, but as all this is going to be done outside (engine crane does not like the gravel drive, take my word for it! Took me best part of an hour to move the engine and crane)....... Plus I don't know what size shells are in the thing, oh and I don't have an engine stand.

water pump p gasket and core plugs

The core plugs are still perfect and there's no obvious water leaks, was considering banging on a new water pump as old one has to come off to do the timing belt, but I think I'll wait and see what the impeller looks like first.....

Does anyone know of a good stockist for M10 flanged/nylocks to replace the ones I buggered ? In an ideal world I'd prefer to use short nylocks.

Now in a quandary, clutch I just took out is, well rather good with plenty life left in it. Springs in plate are fine, but forks are quite worn (about 1/2-3/4mm groove where bearing runs. I have a new plate etc kicking about.... Do I or don't I replace it?

Replace!

If its a 200 you don't have to worry about P gasket!

I'd have the whole of the front and back of the engine off. When we did the timing belt on the 88 we ended up taking it off after struggling with stuck bolts. We drilled the holes out a bit to hopefully prevent a repeat.

When doing timing belts I also changed crank seals, both, and cam seals and o rings.

You might as well have the flywheel housing off too and change that gasket.

I replace all the bolts with normal BZP bolts with proper size heads, and use proper M8 nuts on the studs. I hate those flanged nuts LR use.

all the way and they should be solid.

The one that is currently in place sits flush with the clutch end of the crank, but there is a half inch gap between the spigot bearing and the crank, i.e. the bush is shorter than the hole.

What lubricant would folks recommend - got a shed load of moly grease/lithium grease or just good old engine oil ?

Well that's a few more bodges sorted:

Lift pump mounting plate missing two screws

Oil filter housing missing 1 screw

Timing chest front cover two screw heads (WTF) glued in with silicone and no gasket

Water pump missing two screws and no gasket

Wastegate now moves (what is the part number for the retaining c clip that now resides somewhere in the darkest recess of the garage)

Timing belt done so that all the timing marks are aligned....

Just got the rear crank seal to re-do - buggered the first one up spectacularly , clutch, sump............................

Forgot to add that it takes a minimum of three people to drag a 200 tdi 15m along a gravel drive to get the bar steward into the garage cos the bloody thing is 6 inches too wide to fit through the entrance door.... Also takes best part of a day to reassemble most of the wife Mini so one can get that out of the garage to make room for the 200 TDI and engine crane.