Sourcing parts for a Series 1 (or potentially 2 of them)

Tetsu0san

Hi all

My Dad has finally bitten the bullet and bought an early 80" Series 1 and potentially a '55(ish) 107" Series 1. The 80" is in bits and needs to be assembled but is in generally good order, but the 107" is in a terrible state with a completely rotten chassis and bulkhead. The 80" has had some sort of weird custom made bulkhead which is pretty awful but the chassis is good.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes bulkheads for these? I am not 100% sure, but reading up on it I think the bulkheads changed at some point so they are probably different on each vehicle, would I be correct?

Also, can anyone recommend somewhere that makes a 107" chassis?

Cheers

A vague memory that early S1's had odd bulkheads, possibly alloy panels on a steel frame, but I could be talking ar5e. Mind you, general rule is don't throw any bits in the scrap bin until you're sure they're not something original/rare/useful.

The number of little brackets, clips, special bolts / fasteners etc. that you only miss when re-assembling a LR is astounding, and some of them are both awkward to make & expensive / hard to find. Even if they look simple & "not worth saving" when removed, keep 'em in a bucket or something until it's definitely 100% finished.

S1 club forum is good. An early 80" and a 107" could in some ways be from different manufacturers! A LOT changed in the first 5 years. From ally steering box, 1600cc, 'ring pull' free wheel box, galvo chassis, narrow springs, tracta-joint CV's and short-nose diffs, to a 107 which can use many parts from S1 and S3.

107 chassis number should be on the right hand dumb iron plate that goes to the front spring. (engine side of plate). If the number is there (upside-down) its well worth keeping as a part to put on the new chassis :)

there is someone advertising on eblag making new 86/88/107/109 S1 bulkheads and from the pics they look pretty good in , zintec too

The 80" BH was originally pressed/welded steel , then for a brief period ( around 1950/1) they made them from angle iron for the main frame and riveted

ally panels infilling - this was due to sheet steel being in short supply I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago . They do look a bit hand made

but that's what they were .

When sheet steel became more available they went back to the original style

Not sure of the availability of 107" chassis , as above , I'd join the S1 club as a start and maybe try Richards or Marsland Chassis?

Some pics of them would be nice to see too ;)

cheers

Steveb

Radford brothers make bulkheads - tend only to advertise in the S1 printed magazine. Same for Wadsworth panels.

http://www.radfordbulkheads.lrsoc.com/

http://wadsworthpanels.com/

Other sources - Pegasus say they make new bulkheads - they are on the net and do high quality new S2 ones.

Craddocks have lots of bits - and remanufacture some chassis parts.

Some is the same as S2. 86/107 have less in common (front dumbirons are rather different)

PA Blanchard have some parts as do Dunsfold. LR Fasteners have some odd bits and loads of fixings.

There was also a nice one at Newbury, not sure who made it. I'll have a look and see whether I have any photos. Great news that your dad's bitten the bullet. I have one that could really do with some attention, I hope one day to find some time. The bulkhead on mine now needs some serious attention, but may be salvageable!

I do remember seeing a company who either makes/repairs or galvanises bulkheads but I didn't take a great deal of notice at the time. Wish I had now though...

But the common consensus is that you can't get a bulkhead, no one makes them. From all the companies rung so far only one will repair one, and they need your old one, and it takes 6 months.

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

6 months would allow you to train as a coded welder, and repair the thing yourself, and you'd probably still be quids in at the end of it, and know it was done right.

Honestly, some companies, what they see as customer service when they have a monopoly is incredible.

This might be a little unfair,often people who start off as enthusiasts end up starting a small business as a result of others seeing what they have done on their own stuff.I have recently started building a replica Ariel trials bike from scratch,several small businesses are supplying me with parts.The frame is being handbuilt along with the swinging arm etc.Like me the chap doing it works on his own,the bloke who makes hubs etc says he has 2-3 years work in front of him,this can be very daunting if you work on your own.I have a SIIA engine to rebuild and fit for a customer,its been going on for a couple of months,I just don't have time to get it done...

Organising / planning time can be one of the hardest things to get right.(Beside cash flow)

I understand, I am my own business also, but you can always employ someone else or sub-contract, that way it benefits everyone.

If I had 2-3 years work in front of me I would be wanting to make maximum profit as soon as possible, not wait 2-3 years for it to materialise...