Any where in the UK able to supply Interco tires these days?

whats the deal on importing tyres these days?

i thought it was something along the lines of you get thrown in prison if you do, as they are basically illegal due to new EU (Grrrrrrrrr) legislation?

i have pitbull tyres and am dreading the day when i wish to replace them...

They would fall into the "professional off road tyres" category surely?

I presume that it is not sufficient that the vehicle is for business use, But that your business requires off road work! Forrestry work, agroculture possibly leccy board etc?

Don't like the backhanded way of stopping off roading for pleasure by banning tyres, except that it will backfire by making older 4x4s and new with massive tyres more popular thus negating other EU initiatives ha ha ha ha!!

A guy who lives just along from me works for Southam Tyres/Micheldever, I think he is a buyer for them, we were talking about my Pit Bull Rockers a while back and he said that Southam Tyres had looked into importing them along with INTERCO some time ago, the size and aggressiveness of the Tyres is not the problem apparently, the problem is the Americans still use aromatic oil in the manufacture of said Tyres, which is either not allowed in the EU or has been banned completely. I got the impression Southam Tyres would happily import these Tyres otherwise, it sounded like the rest of the world had stopped using the banned oil but in typical fashion the Americans didn't give a toss, and I think the market elsewhere is not big enough to make them change there minds.

He also told me he could sort me out a phone number for a guy who would/could import odd Tyres if I ever needed, although the guy does not deal in 4x4 Tyres he was happy to bring in the odd tyre.

I don't know this neighbour particularly well, so I ought to say allegedly!

I had a conversation with Devon 4x4 about this. They stated that it is the aromatic oil content that is the issue. The EU have some realy strict cirteria that requires manufacturers to submit tyres for testing and so on. D44 told me that interco some time used rubber with the oil in, sometimes not, but for them to comply with the EU regs would be to much hassle for the volumes sold, therefore they did not both to try and comply. End result is that they are techncially illegal to import and sell as, even if they are oil free, they will not have been certified oil free by the right boffin in the EU money grabbing machine.

I think the end user can use them. According to D44 the importer of tyres which have not been tested by the right EU boffin for aromatic compounds can be fined £5,000 per tyre -even if oil free..........

However I understand that you can import personally. Not sure if you have to only use off road. However it's easy to state that for the customs man. I have 4 of boggers that I bought to allow mock up of my (never ending) project, but no spare. I intend to just import two more when (later this century) I complete the LR. I was intending to ring round US distributors and get a price for tyres + delivery. However that may prove to be £££££.

I had a conversation with Devon 4x4 about this. They stated that it is the aromatic oil content that is the issue. The EU have some realy strict cirteria that requires manufacturers to submit tyres for testing and so on. D44 told me that interco some time used rubber with the oil in, sometimes not, but for them to comply with the EU regs would be to much hassle for the volumes sold, therefore they did not both to try and comply. End result is that they are techncially illegal to import and sell as, even if they are oil free, they will not have been certified oil free by the right boffin in the EU money grabbing machine.

I think the end user can use them. According to D44 the importer of tyres which have not been tested by the right EU boffin for aromatic compounds can be fined £5,000 per tyre -even if oil free..........

However I understand that you can import personally. Not sure if you have to only use off road. However it's easy to state that for the customs man. I have 4 of boggers that I bought to allow mock up of my (never ending) project, but no spare. I intend to just import two more when (later this century) I complete the LR. I was intending to ring round US distributors and get a price for tyres + delivery. However that may prove to be £££££.

this is interesting though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-INTERCO-SUPER-SWAMPER-BOGGER-TYRE-35-10-50-15-BOGGE-EXTREME-OFF-ROAD-/231308508713?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item35db0fbe29

Daan

Not disputing what you are saying. But if it's true, this page on the Interco site would seem very odd. Look at all the European countries covered by a distributor:

http://www.intercotire.com/wheretobuy.php

The other thing that used to be a problem wsy back when at least was E marking on tyres.

We had an American boat/trailer and had or at least decided to swap out the tyres for UK trailer tyres that were E marked.

I see lots of boats with evidently USA tyres on and nobody gives a toss so it was perhaps a waste of effort but a good 15/20 years ago we decided it was a good idea to not have what we thought were illegal tyres on the trailer.

I currently have pitbull rockers and wondered about the E Mark thing but as above im now not as sure it's as much of a problem as we did back then.

But maybe my insurer would say different if I skidded into somebody with American tyres fitted?

That was my understanding regarding the american imported beadlock rims, if they were DOT approved they were good enough, but then again that was for England, they have different laws and rules in each member state as I'm finding out in each one I move to :(

Maybe the aromatherapy oils are the publicized reason but there does appear to be a back door for everything these days ;)

I think E marked would only matter when gaining type approval for a vehicle. If you ever look at a Euro/UK spec Corvette C5 or 4th Generation Camaro, you'll see they have different bumpers, lights, mirrors and E marked glass. Because they are proper fully type approved models for the European market.

But it's perfectly legal to grey import a car from the USA and put it through an SVA/IVA and you won't need E-marked bits on the car.