battery cut off

white90

Tony your wrong i'm afraid mate....

If you disconnect the batteries when your tdi is running it will, just keep running :blink:

This is because the alternater provides the power.

You require a proper cut off switch that has in built seperatotrs to stop everything...DEAD B)

These switches are available (From ourselves) are are about £20

Try staring your engine and then disconnecting the battery, you might be suprised.....

Jim :)

Try getting round Freelander ECU's with a cut off :huh:

took a while but easy once you know how.

Tony, I've found its also worth having a fuel cutoff very close at hand in case of an emergency; its not the easiest thing in the world to reach the battery box in an emergency. FYI I've got one on the central console and had one on the cubby box when I was manual.

Tony, I've found its also worth having a fuel cutoff very close at hand in case of an emergency; its not the easiest thing in the world to reach the battery box in an emergency. FYI I've got one on the central console and had one on the cubby box when I was manual.

If its a MSA scrutineer checking the car before a event he will insiste that is in reach of the driver and co-drive (both must ba able to reach it).

It is with racing AWDC challenge may be a little more lax but I doubt it

If its a MSA scrutineer checking the car before a event he will insiste that is in reach of the driver and co-drive (both must ba able to reach it).

It is with racing AWDC challenge may be a little more lax but I doubt it

doesn't it also have to accessed externally to the vehicle as well so that marshalls can kill the power.

Mine is in the centre of the vehicle with two red "bonnet" release cables to either side of the vehicle.

I don't know will. If my truck was going over you would find my head in the passenger footwell anyway :)

Jules

Doesn't have to be activated externally, but stickers must be attached to the doors advising where the cut out is if its not external.

AWDC

Do you need external access to the cut off at the base of the wind screen on both side's if your out cold in the truck a marshall can kill the power to prevent the threat of fire.

All fitted now thanks for all the responses

I moved the F/Winch ioslator so I could put it in easy reach of the driver.

WOW tony is that a crappy halfords one or a Lucas one you have there. I thought some one like you would have put a hella one in . :)

• 2 months later...

The FIA engine cut out switches will melt if the winch current goes through them, like the cheapo cut out switches.

I can't comment how anyone else has done it but in my setup the power for the switching side of the winch solenoid is only live when the ignition is live so by switching off the engine cut out switch this stops the winch too. Only thing that is then still live is the power feed to the winch solenoid which has it's own cut out switch which is mianly for short protection of that line.

The FIA engine cut out switches will melt if the winch current goes through them, like the cheapo cut out switches.

I can't comment how anyone else has done it but in my setup the power for the switching side of the winch solenoid is only live when the ignition is live so by switching off the engine cut out switch this stops the winch too. Only thing that is then still live is the power feed to the winch solenoid which has it's own cut out switch which is mianly for short protection of that line.

That was pretty much my expectation but does that pass the AWDC/MSA regs?

It passed.

Most (if not all) competitors vehicles at AWDC events that I have noticed have seperate cut offs for engine and each winch. I'm not sure how many have the engine cut off also switch the winch off like mine. The only way my winch would carry on operating after switching the engine cut off is if the winch solenoid had 'welded' itself closed, I'm led to believe this can't/doesn't happen with albrights due to the method of construction/switching, although it can happen with traditional solenoids.

It passed.

Most (if not all) competitors vehicles at AWDC events that I have noticed have seperate cut offs for engine and each winch. I'm not sure how many have the engine cut off also switch the winch off like mine. The only way my winch would carry on operating after switching the engine cut off is if the winch solenoid had 'welded' itself closed, I'm led to believe this can't/doesn't happen with albrights due to the method of construction/switching, although it can happen with traditional solenoids.

I got the AWDC Challenge Event Regulations 2006 from somewhere - I thought they would give me guidance in my build - and they state (among other things) that vehicles should be fitted with:

...circuit breaker which isolates the battery from all electrical circuits and cuts the engine at the same time and is easily operable by the driver whilst correctly seated.

And if you have a winch:

... a second circuit breaker which isolates the winch from all other electrical circuits <cut & shut> clearly marked and in an accessible position <cut & shut> a marshal should be able to see it and turn it off.

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
there are three isolators on the battery box

2 ceramic ones

one per winch

FIA battery cut off for just that.

Are the two black nobs to the right of the isolator terminal posts connected to the battery, if so I'm after something similar because I have Exmoor Opus seats bolted in so I run the risk of having to unbolt the seat if I need to get at the battery in emergencies, (I trust my Defender but not the battery!)

Ta