Mini Tech Data - Superwinch PTO Mech winch U/Js

Hybrid_From_Hell

Righty Ho all,

Was looking for something else, but found this :

Superwinch U/Js on a Mechanical Winch, the U/Js are a fortune to repalce, heres a part number that will get you one for around £11 !

Hardy Spicer HS120 315330 05.09 DL :D

If you have a PTO superwinch (any model) then print this off and keep in a safe place - you'll need it, the U/Js do not last long and people try / do charge a fortune for them !

Nige

• 8 months later...
Righty Ho all,

Was looking for something else, but found this :

Superwinch U/Js on a Mechanical Winch, the U/Js are a fortune to repalce, heres a part number that will get you one for around £11 !

Hardy Spicer HS120 315330 05.09 DL :D

If you have a PTO superwinch (any model) then print this off and keep in a safe place - you'll need it, the U/Js do not last long and people try / do charge a fortune for them !

Nige

Would you happen to know of a company that I could buy these from. Ive just been on the phone to superwinch and the whole UJ is nearly £200! The recon kit is still in the region of £36.

many thanks,

HPLP

Would you happen to know of a company that I could buy these from. Ive just been on the phone to superwinch and the whole UJ is nearly £200! The recon kit is still in the region of £36.

many thanks,

HPLP

I think I have a few complete UJs with centres in the shed,

I'll have a look tommorrow,

Yes they fetch hideous money ..and are as rare as a rare thing looking for a rare mate at a conference on rarity :huh:

Nige

I just got some new uj's for my Mayflower winch. Paid £30 each from PG. He tells me no spares for the drive shaft are available at the moment.

Its a good job I managed to get a complete Fairey winch complete with PTO and a reasonable drive shaft with a good centre bearing from the auto jumble at Billing ^_^ .

Pto driveshafts generally don't have to transmit much torque for the winch to reach its rated capacity (around 45 ft lb with a 60:1 worm drive would give just over 8000 lb line pull on a loaded drum of 8'' diameter) so welding any suitable size UJ assembly is quite acceptable. I use ToyotaLandCruiser 60 series greasable steering UJ's shafts and proper splined slip joints on my winch, and they are likely to outlast the rest of the truck.

Bill.

Pto driveshafts generally don't have to transmit much torque for the winch to reach its rated capacity (around 45 ft lb with a 60:1 worm drive would give just over 8000 lb line pull on a loaded drum of 8'' diameter) so welding any suitable size UJ assembly is quite acceptable. I use ToyotaLandCruiser 60 series greasable steering UJ's shafts and proper splined slip joints on my winch, and they are likely to outlast the rest of the truck.

Bill.

Bill, unfortunately, the story isn't that clear cut, since the worm and wormwheel setup gives a lot of losses; these depend on the ratio: the higher the ratio, the more losses. the Superwinch PTO winch has a ratio of 48:1 and the effiency of the winch ( based on input torque and line pull) is about 25%. This is mainly important on startup, once it is going the efficiency improves due to oilwedge buildup. So the shaft is transferring 4 times more torque than you would think. Myself and Adrian Martin (B reg 90) have done a lot calculating and discussing and what have you. I wouldn't recommend using steering column uj/s myself, purely based lookright-factor: and they dont look right for the job to me.

Daan

Thanks Daan, I didn't realise that winch worm drives were so inefficient. Even so my winch driveshafts are made up from Toyota bits welded together driving through a 30:1 worm drive head and I still manage to break 1/2'' wire rope without straining the UJ's, 3/4'' diameter shafts or my crappy welds, so the torque transmission required of them is still quite moderate relative to the line pull at the the winch drum .

Have you seen the steering universals and slip yokes on a 60 series Toyota ? Like many things Toyota they are substantially larger and much better made than Landy ones and would definately meet your look right criteria for winch drives.

Bill.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig out this old post, but have a bit of information to share.

Checked on Hardy Spicer's current catalog, and it appears the HS-120 is no longer on the list.

But found a chinese manufacturer who make copies of the same UJ, and it's Mondar H-350:

http://catalog-en.china4auto.com/catalog.php?ctid=1424&cpid=019

http://www.cnmondar.cn/en/info.asp?second_id=3002

I,m not sure of my info, but I was told the uj,s were actually used on Jaguar steering assemblies, I wasnt told of the model though.

I,m quite fortunate that I have a couple of good spares complete with yokes, now if you want really rare.... try finding the front yoke with the hexagonal drive.

Gaz