New year, New toys

Lewis

I'm a dabber when TIGing, if you have sausage fingers like me when wearing gloves it can be very difficult to feed the rods slowly! Better when I'm wearing the Ansel Hyflex gloves (Rubbery, grippy covered ones), But they give naff all protection from the heat.

Have the option of a nice big opening ceramic on the torch for doing fillet welds, allows you to walk the cup along and get a more even weld.

As for gas, Have a look at Albee, which is part of Air Liquide. I use Albee since buying my TIG set last year. One off charge for the bottle as a deposit (Which isn't lost if you exchange a bottle a year, otherwise you loose a small percentage of the bottle when you give it back). Can't remember the exact cost, but it was about the £200 mark for a bottle (regulator built into the top), quick release connector for the bottle (needed as it comes with the male side on the bottle) and a full charge of gas at a decent pressure (200bar).

I have three of those Makita grinders:

No.1 has a slitting disc

No.2 has a grinding disc

No.3 has either a wire brush or a flap disc.

Very good grinders.

I also have a 9" Makita for bigger cutting jobs, that is an animal :ph34r:

wise man indeed

May be of use to someone .... I use this co for gas (20l argon 20l co2). They do delivery too not sure how far though

Three websites same company sometimes different prices and discounts or specials

http://www.gascylindersuk.co.uk

http://www.weldinggases.co.uk

http://www.refrigerantgases.co.uk

(First two for welding no idea why you need three to offer the same products essentially, thought they'd just link to one but heyho)

Have you had a play with the tig yet Lewis? I have an empty air products argon if you know anywhere that can fill it for you?

Good luck with the makitas, I couldn't buy anything other than Bosch professional mine have been too good!

Yeah I got it set up yesterday and had a few hours playing, it's quite difficult trying to unlearn years of mig induced bad habits and laziness :)

My 15 year old speedglas seems to struggle a bit, it couldn't quite get the hang of judging what was a arc. I might have to invest in a new 4 sensor mask

I got a 20litre bottle rent free from a local welding supplies shop, they are air products agents too but they charge £15 admin on top of the gas fill every time you change them

I know what you're saying about the bosch professional stuff - there's 200+ 1100watt 5" bosch grinders on the shop floor at work and they don't exactly get an easy life on the work we do, but we've got 10 grinders at home now ranging in quality from £5 up to £50 and none of them seem to last any better than others

That said, if money were no object I'd be hard pushed to choose between bosch and Milwaukee

We've had a few of the automatic masks at work, usually ESAB or similar branded, they seem to last a while then fail and don't go dark when you start welding. There are no replaceable batteries so I assume they charge via the little solar panel bit on the front from the arc? Are they failing as we don't weld very often or do they just fail? Wondering if I should leave it in a window so it can pick up the sun? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

My home one has AAA batteries and it's lasted ages :D Plus it's dark and the batteries make it light so has a better fail safe than the above.

Yeah I got it set up yesterday and had a few hours playing, it's quite difficult trying to unlearn years of mig induced bad habits and laziness :)

My 15 year old speedglas seems to struggle a bit, it couldn't quite get the hang of judging what was a arc. I might have to invest in a new 4 sensor mask

I got a 20litre bottle rent free from a local welding supplies shop, they are air products agents too but they charge £15 admin on top of the gas fill every time you change them

I know what you're saying about the bosch professional stuff - there's 200+ 1100watt 5" bosch grinders on the shop floor at work and they don't exactly get an easy life on the work we do, but we've got 10 grinders at home now ranging in quality from £5 up to £50 and none of them seem to last any better than others

That said, if money were no object I'd be hard pushed to choose between bosch and Milwaukee

My ancient speedglas 9000 copes really well, as long as the lenses are in decent order. Perfect clarity at 25A the other day! Still cannot get my miller to perform on ally yet :-(

10 grinders! Your obsessed. My cordless Bosch is by far the most used out of all mine I'm seriously considering buying another bare unit to save me keep changing discs over.

I think the only annoying thing about the cordless Bosch is that its based on the gws7 so it has the old fashioned style of back guard. I much preference the gws8 quick release guard.

You think your 9000 is ancient? Mines an APC!

I keep reading good things about the very cheap phantom xl, four sensors, works down to 2amp, massive viewing area and only 80quid, just need to try one on my enormous head

What's your Miller?

You think your 9000 is ancient? Mines an APC!

I keep reading good things about the very cheap phantom xl, four sensors, works down to 2amp, massive viewing area and only 80quid, just need to try one on my enormous head

What's your Miller?

I'm tempted to buy another 9002x, but my last one only lasted 2 years. All my 9000 lenses will fit as well!

My miller is a early 80's syncrowave 350, 375amp power hungry monster.