Wheel carriers

I have a mantec one - I bought it 2nd hand had it blasted, zinc painted, and powder coated - and put new stainless fasteners on. I like it ! Total cost worked out cheaper than new and helped spread the cost a bit too.

I have a Sh!tpart one, tried for hours to grease the pivots and failed miserably, grease nipple was fine, but there was no corresponding hole in the bush. Also (bought it a few years back) it never fitted properly, the wheel , when mounted, sits at an angle to the door, the strengthening bits that rivet to the door frame are the wrong profile to fit properly and the powder coating drops off after about an hour. other than than those problems... Avoid!

Also got a genuine swing away which is about as perfect as you can get. I think you get what you pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Pivlock on the 110.

Not everybody's liking as you are required to unlock and open the carrier first and then the door.

We like that as it makes it possible to fix the door in the open position while cooking.

I've been looking at cookie64's thread ( http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86658 ) where he made his own wheel carrier. I dont have the construction skills or tools to make that hinge, but have read of a few people suggesting using a trailer stub axle. I think this would be a possibility and i like the idea of it hinging only on the crossmember - i;ve fitted nice new body cappings and i dont really want to drill them to fit a wheel carrier that bolts up there as well.

I made my own single pivot wheel carrier. Mounted on the cross member only, used a turned down hub as the pivot. Depending on where in Herts you are, your more than welcome to come and have a look at it for some inspiration.

Will try and remember to take some pics if I remember.

Simon

Hi Simon. Pics would be good :) I'm based in Potters Bar.

I was thinking along the lines of one of these:

http://www.gttowing.co.uk/STUB-AXLE-TO-SUIT-TB-HUB-WITH-38MM-X-250MM-FREE-BED/product/EXTBSTB100/EXTENDEDSTUB/

and the hub as well (would need modifying:

http://www.gttowing.co.uk/TAPER-BEARING-HUB-4X4quot;-PCD/product/TB-HUB/22008442/

The bracket would be like the one cookie64 made in the link above