Wheel carriers

After removing rear door fixed wheel carrier. :rolleyes: Frankly a bad design I think in that the weight causing my rear door to suffer. :(:angry: I have been browsing the LR Mags and noting the alternatives. What would you say is the best versions in the swing away types and how do they lock on the rear door. Is there noise issue with them.

You don't state what you currently have so it's hard to say what would be better.

While not technically a swingaway carrier, the one I bought from Safariequip (made by WVA Holdings as far as I know) has been excellent in it's use. It opens with the rear door as any station wagon would benefit from. The only downside was that I should have gone for a galvanised finish, after two years the powder coating has just flaked off enough to warrant a wire brushing and a coat of hammerite. It is more expensive than a paddocks cheapy one but it is solidly built and has a hi jack bracket if you specify one.

You don't state what you currently have so it's hard to say what would be better.

While not technically a swingaway carrier, the one I bought from Safariequip (made by WVA Holdings as far as I know) has been excellent in it's use. It opens with the rear door as any station wagon would benefit from. The only downside was that I should have gone for a galvanised finish, after two years the powder coating has just flaked off enough to warrant a wire brushing and a coat of hammerite. It is more expensive than a paddocks cheapy one but it is solidly built and has a hi jack bracket if you specify one.

Sorry :rolleyes: I have the standard one attached to the rear door now removed. I seen the one advertised by Paddocks. Looks a lot cheaper granted, but are they not made from the same amount of material just without the cover plate. When there locked to the rear door would this cause any knocking./Users/oakesy/Desktop/pm287.jpg.jpeg

Sorry :rolleyes: I have the standard one attached to the rear door now removed. I seen the one advertised by Paddocks. Looks a lot cheaper granted, but are they not made from the same amount of material just without the cover plate. When there locked to the rear door would this cause any knocking./Users/oakesy/Desktop/pm287.jpg.jpeg

Forgot images of wheels carriers

post-8867-1239629657_thumb.jpg

post-8867-1239629680_thumb.jpg

I have a Paddocks carrier that opens with the door. Works fine for me, is well made and no rattles. I fitted it after the weight of the spare pretty much destroyed my rear door

Thanks for reply looks the better option and still cheaper.

I had the one on the left of your two photos on a 90, kept forgetting to unlock it before I opened the rear door, but was great if your parked on a side slope as it clicked open and the door could be bungeed to it to hold the door open. Painte flaked after 18 months.

My 110 currently has the Bearmach one shown on the right photo, and as I have a NAS rear step it meant I was a little limited to fitting it (its now slightly offset to offside).

Once setup it does not rattle and as I dont green lane any more has been much better for the back door (which as a 2002 MY is one part door).

Mantec one is probably better but also has a price tag to go with it.

The RH picture looks same as the Paddocks one. If you have rear steps/bumperettes you could have problems. Others like the Mantec mount nearer the hinge line I think. While pleased with my Paddocks one, it's restricting me fitting off the shelf rear end protection.

After a lot of thumping from the back every time I went over a bump, I decided that it wasn't doing the door or the hinges any good so looked round for a decent swing away carrier. Eventually I went for the Mantec one and you do get what you pay for. Yes it's expensive, but the quality is excellent and I can't see the coating coming off for some considerable time. No problem at all opening the door - it does what it says on the tin and swings away but stays attached. Fitting it, as you'd expect didn't quite go as per instructions, as the brackets didn't quite line up when you put the carrier itself in, but how many Landy's are exactly square to start with? Just a little adjusting and it went on fine. The only criticism I have is that the bolts corrode quickly (I replaced most of them with stainless) and the top bracket fitting needs a backing piece inside the tub so it tightens up squarely.

Back end is now silent and I'm sure the hinges etc are better for it.

Malcolm

I got a mantec one and dont think its as strong as it looks. I dropped into little hole and the bottom of the spare tyre caught the lip of the hole and bent the whole thing outwards. I winched it as straight as I could so that the door could be opened but I have now got to find something to reverse into so that I can straighten the bottom out!

Which is the best Swing Away for a Soft Top then?

Foundry 4x4 says not for Soft Tops. :(

Following this thread all set for a Mantec - now not so sure! :unsure:

Is that because of how it mounts to the door, because they assume you have a tailgate or because the tub alone doesn't take the weight. I suspect it is the first.

If you have a cut down 2002 spec door (or copy the wheel mount points) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

i have a paddocks one and the only thing i will say is make sure you grease where the bushes/long bolts are regularly.

Mine has got that much slop in it now its a joke. Rattles and bangs over every single bump. Looked at replacing the bushes and bolts - only to find they arent removable bushes from the looks of it. Replaced the bolts as they had worn, made a slight improvement but still loads of slop and rattles.

Is that because of how it mounts to the door, because they assume you have a tailgate or because the tub alone doesn't take the weight. I suspect it is the first.

If you have a cut down 2002 spec door (or copy the wheel mount points) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Hi, I would suggest it's because they have a drop down tailgate as standard. I have just converted mine to a side opening door so that it can take a swing away carrier. I spotted it done on a landy at a show I went to and like the idea so much, I copied it. Very easy to do too.

Dave ;)

Well opened up my bank account and placed an order for the swing away carrier from paddocks. Thanks for all the advise. :D

The instructions that you get with it really aren't great by the way (I'd go as far as to say nigh on useless...)

• 6 years later...

I have a Mantec one. It was fitted when I bought my Defender 2003. The coating is coming away in places but that is to be expected with that stuff. I used to use the spare wheel as a stand when accessing the top box. Yes I would buy another even at the price now.

Some discussion about this subject here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=41042

I have more recently fitted the B***part item to my own truck, and I have to say it isn't bad. It fitted fairly well, and seems to function reasonably well too. The paint isn't great - it chips very easily, but I've heard to same of the more expensive brand too.

I haven't had it fitted long enough to give a long term report.

Edited by western
2 threads same subject merged, so the link above will not take you anywhere else but this thread