buying my first defender 90 with a twist ?

Hi guys , I'm new to the forum , i have been looking for a local defender 90 (swb) in my price range for some time now, one has popped up and i have been to look at it its nice and clean with age related scuffs dents etc its a year 2000 with 87 k on the clock with full service history (stamped) and old mots to back up the milage ,

but theres a twist it was built buy land rover as a special vehicle it has an heavy duty chassis fitted to it and a wading kit from factory now i can't see this being much of a problem ?

the problem lies with it was registered as a (pick up) it has been fitted with a county station wagon roof side panels rear door (with heated window and wiper etc (its believed to have been put back in to landcover for this conversion) its been done very well and be like it for some time , my concern is, is this legal ? and how does it effect insurance etc ?

any help and advice would be appreciated i have put a £100 holding deposit down and am supposed to be collecting it tomorrow but the more i think about it the more i worry.

kind regards Tony

It's not unusual for the body type to change on a land rover. It should be possible to change the v5 if that's not as western says but this will be a lot easier if you have documented proof. Number one most important is hpi it and check the numbers match you can also decode the vin to tell you how it left the factory. Second most important if your happy it's not nicked and you buy it insure it exactly as it stands in front of you and declare everything.

Mike

Always as an absolute minimum check that the chassis number matches the v5.... what you get told and the truth can be very different things.....

If the number doesn't match. Walk away, it's that simple..... if the chassis doesn't have a number, try to check for grinding marks..... also study the chassis and see if it's the original land rover design.....

Hi, thank you for all of you reply's and the advice , you've settled my nerves a little , i have checked out that all of the numbers match and it is hpi clear, it is registered as a utility 4x4 heavy duty,

i have also contacted the dvla and they said if i send photos of the vehicle inside and out with a description of what has been changed they will more than likely be able to change it to a station wagon . it may need an inspection report from my local mot station.

I think i will continue with the purchase knowing its not registered as a pick up on the log book and insure it accordingly .

kind regards Tony

With the meccano-like properties of land rover, I'd leave it as is on the V5. No advantages registering it as a station wagon. Just make sure the insurance and the V5 have the correct number of seats on them.

Hi thanks for the advice , i have managed to insure it with interior modifications with according to admiral covers extra seats fitted etc , it has been insured to carry 6 people i will update the log book from 3-6 seats. will this then be fully legal ?

The factory fitted off road clobber would prompt me to have a close look at the chassis for damage, corrosion and if it's full of mud or silt, same applies to areas inside the vehicle.

i was initially "put off" buy the off road parts fitted but after assessing the chassis,running gear, floors and battery box, lower doors etc the only thing i could find is the rear cross member has some corrosion which is of no concern to myself as my brother is a coded welder and fantastic fabricator.

kind regards Tony

you only need number of seats on V5 reg dociment if the vehicle is going to be used to carry fare paying passengers -- local bus or taxi use, not req'd for private vehicles, my 110 is actually a 12 seater but that doesn't need to be on my V5.

has to be 'estate' on V5 to be exempt for the London LEZ charges.

you only need number of seats on V5 reg dociment if the vehicle is going to be used to carry fare paying passengers -- local bus or taxi use, not req'd for private vehicles, my 110 is actually a 12 seater but that doesn't need to be on my V5.

has to be 'estate' on V5 to be exempt for the London LEZ charges.

oh thanks for the info i won't change the number of seats on the log book just yet then.

I'm going to night to have a last once over on the landy and hopefully ill be bringing it home with me tonight ill post some photos of it if i do .

thanks for all of your help and advice guys

• Like 1

just have a conversation with you insurance if you are really worried. i did this as mine started life as a pick up, bought it with sides and a roof, then converted to a canvas myself and i just told them what it was and they were fine with it.