Winch rope's

Adrian Turner

Are good winch rope deals a secret then?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in people posting to tell the whole world you're having a private conversation. Either post the answer here, or send a PM. No need to do both...

Either post the answer here, or send a PM. No need to do both...

I do apologise, I am not "current" on forum speek. I have seen people do this in the past and thought (obviously incorrectly) that this was the done thing.

I am sorry i have upset you, it was not my intention.

P.s It might have been a better idea if you had PM'd me that remark then it would not clogg up the topic with off topic remarks. Or even started a new topic. Not sure what would be best. Maybe you could PM me with your thoughts.

Cheers.

Kev BE

P.s It might have been a better idea if you had PM'd me that remark then it would not clogg up the topic with off topic remarks. Or even started a new topic. Not sure what would be best. Maybe you could PM me with your thoughts.

Touché. B)

Ade, Rufftracks is good stuff; I'm very fond of it. 100ft of 11mm worked well on a standard 8274 with a 6hp.

There's some very strong stuff made in the States that's impossible to get hold of that's supposed to be the dogs danglies but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me (D90SV and Lara run it IIRC). Its not cheap, though!

P.S. 7 events is pretty good for a rope IMHO.

Ade, Rufftracks is good stuff; I'm very fond of it. 100ft of 11mm worked well on a standard 8274 with a 6hp.

There's some very strong stuff made in the States that's impossible to get hold of that's supposed to be the dogs danglies but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me (D90SV and Lara run it IIRC). Its not cheap, though!

P.S. 7 events is pretty good for a rope IMHO.

There something called Dux Diamond (?) that comes on the Milemarker Type R, supposed to be semi-rigid though I don't think I would want a rope with an erection :blink:

Yours should be lasting quite well at the moment Will? ;)

I have always used plasma 12 (purple stuff) first 9.5mm and now 11mm and been very pleased with it. But the last time I needed some Phil Gordon (PG Winches) couldn't get any as Andy was on holiday, so got hold of some Dyneema bowrope. I've used it several times and have decided to go back to plasma 12. The Dyneema seemed to fray quite quickly, and I think the plasma will last longer. This is my own personal opinion, and I know...well, nothing really...

Would tend to agree with Nick,

On the old defender, put some new 9.5mm Bowrope on the [whisper on] Huskey[whisper off] only used a small amount and looking at it the other day, has certainly gone a little frayed/fluffy, more that maybe it should have done !!

I had plasma 12 (11mm) on the front of the hybrid, which has done a lot of work !! and is well fluffy, hence the decision to change it, (also the knot in it may have tipped the balance to change it )

Now fitted with 125 foot of 11mm bowrope after what I thought was a good deal (£165.00)

will see how it get on !!

Yes mate not a bad run :)

thank you all for your input, i've gone for the Plasma 12 in 11mm at 125ft X2 (ouch) as most people have said that it wear's better. :) I'll probably carry a 11mm Marlow as a spare, just in case :(:lol:

Adrain, you're not tempted to cut 25ft off the ropes? I've found 125 of 11mm's just a bit too much for the drum. I just found it bunched up too much and pull was noticably down. I now prefer to keep a short rope on the drum and then carry extensions. Even with the new winches (+3" drums and narrower diameter) I won't run more than 125ft and I'll carry a couple of 100ft extensions.

Tim

just cut the knot out I'll splice it back together for you.

I also agree with Will

125ft is too much on the drum I have around 80-90 ft now IIRC

and cary enough extension/strops etc to pull as far as I'd generally need to.

125ft extension-x1 4m strop x1 6m strop and a couple of tree strops.

if I was so stuck and needing more I could always take the rear winch rope off for another 100ft.

most winch pulls are fairly short doing what we do so having a shorter rope gives the winch an easier time to.

Adrain, you're not tempted to cut 25ft off the ropes? I've found 125 of 11mm's just a bit too much for the drum. I just found it bunched up too much and pull was noticably down. I now prefer to keep a short rope on the drum and then carry extensions. Even with the new winches (+3" drums and narrower diameter) I won't run more than 125ft and I'll carry a couple of 100ft extensions.

Will, i no what your say'in, most of the time it is a short pull. I'm running with mod'ed drum's, so hopefully it won't be a problem. If it is i'll just cut the end off.

125ft is too much on the drum I have around 80-90 ft now IIRC

and cary enough extension/strops etc to pull as far as I'd generally need to.

125ft extension-x1 4m strop x1 6m strop and a couple of tree strops.

Tony,

Had you considered that if you need the full length of the extension, your main rope will be 25ft too short when you take the extension out :)

I suppose you could double the extension back on itself part way through with a snatch block, if you had a spare one hand.

I have about 90ft on the winch and a 75ft extension which I made from the original length of Dyneema I had on the winch.

Stephen if things get that desperate I'll put the brand new spare I carry on the drum and use the shorter lengthd as extensions.

What I'm trying to say is 125ft of a winch challenge vehicle will probably waste the effort of the winch more often than not.

The front one on mine is down to 80-90 ft after breakages and not bothering to resplice short pieces into it.

dyneema/Bowrope does go fluffy very quickly although despite that it seems to last well from what use mine has had anyway, 10mm on the back (now) after 5 events on the front and still going strong but looks likte sh*t.

front i have just got 125ft 11mm dynemma (same price as Time) will see how that goes.

Stephen if things get that desperate I'll put the brand new spare I carry on the drum and use the shorter lengthd as extensions.

What I'm trying to say is 125ft of a winch challenge vehicle will probably waste the effort of the winch more often than not.

The front one on mine is down to 80-90 ft after breakages and not bothering to resplice short pieces into it.

I agree - one reason I went for a shorter length though I later decided (when I got the second rope) to go for a longer length as the Milemarker doesn't seem to bother about whether its on the 1st layer or the top one and it goes a bit quicker when there's lots of rope on the drum :)

I use Amsteel Blue, Had it on about 3 years now & loads of events. It's getting a bit tired but I carry a spare anyway.

I imported 1000ft & it worked out around £1.20 a ft. I think it's gone up a bit now. Wouldn't touch 'Plasma 12' primarily for personal reasons but I'm glad I went elsewhere cos I recon the Amsteel is stronger.

I've never snapped a front rope, the rear is getting shorter but only because of sideways pulls & no rope likes that.