Tips for removing the drop arm ?

I'm going to swap the drop arm over to a Disco one and wondered if anyone could share tips for removing it ?

I did one before and really struggled to get it off - in the end I used a grinder to widen the slot and wedged it open with a small chisel.

It was more effort than intellect though and I wonder if there is a better way ?

I do have a small puller - but the arms won't sit well on the top of the drop arm, and I doubt it would be big enough anyway.

Any help gratefully received.

Grinding a slot works but I ran out of cutting discs on a Sunday afternoon an had no choice, 5mm drill bit an a cold chisel to split it open, I used one of the limmiting collars as not to hit the splined shaft, not fun but needs must an all that!

Wilĺ post a pic when home but they have the same bore as the drill bit and are secured by a small grub screw, saved me messing up several things where the drill bit could (read as would in my case :() have done other damage had it gone too far!!

did mine with a cheap puller.

soak with penetrating fluid day before.

put puller on, wind up tight - tap arm few times with hammer, tap not belt!

repeat slowly increasing tightness of puller half turn or so each time and it should come, took me half an hr like that.

for love of god keep all body parts clear of area below it cause when mine hit floor it hit scary fast and would have hurt.

First time I did it on my old 110 it took 3 pry bars jacked up on 3 bottle jacks like a Mercedes sign so the whole weight of the car was on it and beating it with a large hammer for 2 hours at which point it let go with an almighty bang, second time on my new 110 I just carefully slit it with a 1mm disc in a spiral shape to avoid the splines and it tapped off in 2 mins... I'd definitely recommend the disco conversion, just make sure you defo ordered the disco bars as obviously they're different lengths!

Mike

I just carefully slit it with a 1mm disc in a spiral shape to avoid the splines and it tapped off in 2 mins...

Mike

Could you explain that in more detail Mike ? I'm trying to imagine it - but thinking of you cut a spiral all around the outside, how would that avoid the splines ?