110 - Support plates under rear wheel arches

Hi Folks,

Been looking at a Defender 110 today and noticed some support plates under both of the rear wheel arches - see attached photograph. Can folk tell me whether they are "standard". Must say never noticed them before when looking at other Defenders but cannot claim to be experienced in anyway.

Thanks,

Simon...

post-108632-0-03453900-1443198341_thumb.jpg

Were they factory fit Richard?

Not on mine Steve. Mum had them added when she owned it as she was carrying a lot of children in the back at the time (20years ago) as a childminder. That was before there was much mention of sideways facing seats and belts in combination being a bad thing, so she thought she was doing the right thing safety wise.

As Tristan points out though, they were just another place where there was steel on ali and the associated corrosion!

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the commentary. Spreader bars for seat belts makes sense. Had a photo of the rear seat belts too. Do these look consistent with an original factory fit as suggested earlier in the thread?

Simon...

Yup, they are same as my 110 station wagon - those shouldered screws are a bugger to source in the correct grade and length.

Yes they are standard factory fit on late 300tdi 110CSW onwards they are spreader plates for the tubular internal seatbelt frames.

Another place for bimetallic corrosion to set it!

Funny I don't remember them being like that but I've had a lot of sleeps since I last owned a 300tdi 110CSW ....that's my excuse anyway :)

• Like 1

Not on mine Steve. Mum had them added when she owned it as she was carrying a lot of children in the back at the time (20years ago) as a childminder. That was before there was much mention of sideways facing seats and belts in combination being a bad thing, so she thought she was doing the right thing safety wise.

As Tristan points out though, they were just another place where there was steel on ali and the associated corrosion!

Absolutely, some time before the major hoo haaa about sideways facing seats :i-m_so_happy: