Installing a programmable intermittent wash / wipe

Hi all,

I run a 300 TDI 110 CSW 1996 and I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem to this one.

I have purchased the Bosch relay (0986335058) to provide an adjustable delay on the intermittent wipe for the front screen. It's a direct plug-in for the existing relay behind the fuse board in the cab and it's something I've known about for a long time and finally I bought one. It's a £40 upgrade so not cheap.

It's a straight plug in, nothing else. However I can't get it to work. I can't set the interval and it will do multiple wipes - like two , three or even four. If I replace the old one I get the standard two / three seconds so I don't suspect there's a wiring fault.

The supplier very willingly sent a replacement but this behaves in exactly the same way, so it can't be the relay.

I have a healthy battery etc (I have a Fluke voltmeter so I know that battery volts are OK). At least 12.4v with no engine and up at 14.1 / 14.2 when charging.

I'm beginning to suspect that there must be lower volts at the relay base (than at the battery terminals) and that this might affect the delay circuit (electronics) in the new relay.

I hope to get chance to have a poke about with a voltmeter on the relay pins tomorrow. However I just wondered if anyone has any ideas or experience of this?

Thank you

I had exactly the same when I tried on my 300..... again the supplier sent another but neither worked.... so both were sent back.... I wondered if there were two ways they wired the wipers during production...... however I can't imagine land rover changing something that worked ok..... when they still haven't changed some things that don't work!

I wasn't aware of this relay reference and true, they are available second hand for less than the £40 i paid. Are all "99" relays the programmable type??

However I don't think there's a reason why one of these would work when the ones I have don't. It appears to have the same setting function as with the ones that I have bought so I presume similar delay circuit??

I had exactly the same when I tried on my 300..... again the supplier sent another but neither worked.... so both were sent back.... I wondered if there were two ways they wired the wipers during production...... however I can't imagine land rover changing something that worked ok..... when they still haven't changed some things that don't work!

I probably need to investigate my wiring (although it works currently) or my volts.

I've fitted a 99 relay from a VW sharan that I had kicking around in a box of spares to my bitsa of a 110, it's worked perfectly. I happened to find a 2nd one of them which I gave to my mate Simon Smith who has popped it in his 200 tdi 110 and his is working fine too.

With regard to the OP, I'd check the earth (chassis) connections both for the relay and for the wiper motor. That's the most likely source of unpredictable behaviour of this sort.

Just having a look now and I've checked the resistance to earth from the relay base (black on 31) and it's < 1ohm. Also checked the + on the IGN switched (green on 15) and its a little less than at the battery terminal - but still just over 12v without the engine.

I'll have a look at resistance on the wiper motor. Thanks

If it's wiping several times, it has an intermittent / noisy contact either on the power side or the wipe switch itself. Most likely the switch.

Try spraying contact cleaner into the switch.

Si

P.S. I've had one for over 10 years which has worked great in both a 200Tdi & Td5. AFAIK there is only one method of wiring wiper relays in applicable vehicles.

If it's wiping several times, it has an intermittent / noisy contact either on the power side or the wipe switch itself. Most likely the switch.

Try spraying contact cleaner into the switch.

Si

P.S. I've had one for over 10 years which has worked great in both a 200Tdi & Td5. AFAIK there is only one method of wiring wiper relays in applicable vehicles.

HI , yes that makes a lot of sense and I've just spent some time getting the stalk out of the steering shroud so I can have a good look. It can't be dismantled but it's possible to get into the static contacts to clean them with a bit of wet & dry. The wiping contact can't be accessed. I sprayed with contact cleaner too - then tried but it's the same.

If fact what seems to happen is that the relay will "take" a new interval only to reduce it over a few cycles before reverting to the standard 2/3 secs. Bizarre! I really thought the switch might be the source.

I did also check the wiper motor ground wire and the resistance is very close to the chassis.

So I'm a bit flummoxed but left it connected so that I can try when I drive up and down the motorway tomorrow at a full 14.2 volts.

The fact that you have a low resistance to earth does not mean there is not an intermittent break in said connection.

Why don't you try connecting it up in a test circuit, isoated from the vehicle.

Si

Yes that might be the way forward - will have to wait a few days though. Plus SWMBO has now heard about the cheaper 99 versions and is asking questions...maybe I should return and start again but at least with a cheaper option.

I've probably got yours!

Well I can't fathom it out. The interval can be set and then it wipes at this interval but also seems to (self?) trigger with other wipes too in between.

I was very tempted to open it up and have a look and a test but as it's £40 I thought better. So I have returned both and will have a look out for the cheaper VW99 option instead. At least if that doesn't work properly I can have a look.

Yes HappyOG, I'm going to do that. After doing a bit of looking already I think that they are all pretty much one and the same thing.

I'm a bit frustrated that I didn't fix the problem quickly but I didn't have much time and really had to get it (both) sent back for a refund whist there was a window.

I will look at the cheaper VW99 options and have another go. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Thread revival :mellow: I've finally looked at this again and bought a used VW 99 relay, plugged it in and it works! So I'm happy although I still wonder why the first two new relays didn't.

Then I saw this thread in the Tech archive (how do you guys do those fancy links to other threads) and I moved my AMR2341 relay to the rear wiper. I followed the instructions in there from @nickwilliams and made the little loom to a suitable relay base. I replaced the resistor and got a 16s intermittent delay which is great. Thanks Nick for a great write-up.

Finally, I replaced the wiper motor drive cable and the two wheel boxes and got a new pair of blades and all's good. I realised that the wheel boxes don't need to be replaced as long as you mark the spindle before pulling out the cable drive, as only a few teeth are in contact and they just need turning through 180. In fact I'm sure i've read about that too somewhere on here.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Then I saw this thread in the Tech archive (how do you guys do those fancy links to other threads)

Just copy/paste the link from another browser tab into here, rather than trying to link text, and when you do, it will run a script to convert it all for you, nifty huh? :)