Defender 90 Galvanised Chassis

I am finding emailing Marsland hardwork, dont get me wrong they reply promptly but it feels like you are pulling teeth all the while, last night i recieved a reply to say i can spec plastic tank mounts if i wanted. However no mention of costs or leadtime i do feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall.

Second hand plastic tanks seem to be around 100quid then theres buying straps mounts and whatever else needed. My current steel tank is 10 yrs old and far from knackered uts also not genuine. I cant help but think a new steel tank cleand and galvafroid painted and then waxoiled is going to last 10-15years.

stop emailing them, pick up the phone - its more productive.

stop emailing them, pick up the phone - its more productive.

I hear what your saying but i would only be asking them to put it all in an email anyway! I am sorry but i aint giving anyone 2 and a bit grand without all questions and answers in writing.

you are really going to make this hard work for yourself, ring them .. tell them what you are trying to do.. ask them what they suggest ( they have done this many times and know what they are doing) If you end up agreeing ask them to ping that in a mail and give them your money.

I found them one of the easiest companies to deal with ever but almost none of the work apart from placing the order was done on line.

I fitted a new metal tank last year. The tank was changed, after 11 years, not because it was rotten but because the tabs holding the sender in had broken. It was easier to change the tank than try to repair it.

Hi Mike

Yep i think we are going to stick with a steel tank and just paint it very well with galvafroid. At least in 15 yrs i will only have to change a tank not worry about bulkheads and chassis welding.

Matt

I spoke with them again this morning and attempted to bend their arm with regard to doing me one without the modifications to fit the older style of tank. She said to send her an email with my requirements so she can speak to the guys in the works and get back to me. Hopefully that will produce what I am after.

If it's either not doable or too expensive (I'm happy to pay a bit more for what I'm after but not too much, considering I'm actually saving them work) then I'll go the same way as madmatt and use a metal tank, suitably drowned in rust protection etc.

• Like 1

Has anyone asked if you can buy an ungalvanised chassis? ?..... then get it dipped yourself. ... cost me about 300 to have mine blasted and dipped. ...

I havent but its an intresting point just depends if you have a galvanisers local enough i suppose.

I bought my chassis from duckworths, pd £1100 for a tdci 90 chassis. ... bought it home and made it what I wanted. .... then put it on my trailer took it 100 miles to Cardiff who blasted and dipped it. The finish is agricultural but mine is a competition vehicle so ig doesn't matter. ... on the plus side I have apparently 120 yrs worth of protection!

Marslands don't do Series so I don't have a choice anyway, but it seems like they're not a particularly accommodating company, and I would never order something as expensive as a chassis without a paper trail of my requirements for modification. If you order on verbal and there's no paper trail, if it's not what you want, you've no comeback. I've found Richards on the other hand to be happy to do anything you want, and because I had a paper trail for my 109 chassis, when it arrived and it was missing some extra brackets I'd requested - which were only standard 88 spring hangers to be welded on as recovery points, nothing complicated - they had no choice but to give me a refund for that part, which they did straight away with no question. Had I really wanted to, I could have forced a return, because I had a paper trail and what was delivered wasn't what I ordered.

Marslands don't do Series so I don't have a choice anyway, but it seems like they're not a particularly accommodating company, and I would never order something as expensive as a chassis without a paper trail of my requirements for modification. If you order on verbal and there's no paper trail, if it's not what you want, you've no comeback. I've found Richards on the other hand to be happy to do anything you want, and because I had a paper trail for my 109 chassis, when it arrived and it was missing some extra brackets I'd requested - which were only standard 88 spring hangers to be welded on as recovery points, nothing complicated - they had no choice but to give me a refund for that part, which they did straight away with no question. Had I really wanted to, I could have forced a return, because I had a paper trail and what was delivered wasn't what I ordered.

That was the biggest reason for me going with a Richards one. They were happy to accommodate any modifications I wanted and it was all done via email so I had a 'paper' trail. I appreciate why James doesn't want to go with a Richards one though.

• 5 weeks later...

I've had an email conversation with Sharon Marsland in order to finalise my understanding of the mounts for metal or plastic tanks for my 300TDi 110 CSW.

She says that they receive each chassis without any tank mountings. They make the ones for metal and buy-in those for plastic, with an additional £50 if you want plastic on the standard metal for a 300TDi.

So I'm going to order a chassis with both fitted too but intend to use a metal tank. I will need to buy a new one as I can't assume my existing one will be good enough to re-use.

If at some point in the future I want to go plastic then I guess I can remove the metal tank mounts. I hope that's sensible.

4-6 week lead time and payment in full, one week before the advised delivery date.

• 4 weeks later...