Diffs, Gears, Axles etc. Advice please

Hi All

I Have a 200tdi defender with a kaputt rear axle and drum brakes on the rear, i also have a v8 disco 1 with a perfect axle and disk brakes.

The question:

Can i just swap the axle to the defender as easy as a few bolts or its there anything more to it? I.E are the diffs geared differently or anything?

Thanks

Tom

Straight swap, all coilers had 3.54 diffs, the only difference is early were 10-spline and late were 24-spline. There are odd differences otherwise, like half shafts and stuff, but if you swap a whole axle, that doesn't matter until you come to need spares, when you have to remember what you fitted!

200Tdi vehicles are almost all post-rationalisation (1991) so already have the later master cylinder and will not suffer any compatibility problems. I have had a 300Tdi Disco rear axle, which is basically the same as a 300Tdi 90 rear axle, on my 200Tdi 90 for 6 years now with no issues.

One of the best upgrades I've done. Do watch the rear pad wear though - twice now I've let them go too far and got the metal-on-metal grinding which has lead to me scrapping two sets of discs prematurely :(

You will need to swap the brass t peice for the brake lines as the abs disco has a flexi for each side, however the one off your existing axle should fit.

Have a good check of the trailing arm mounts before fitting.

Will.

i fitted new BP caliper's with mintex disc's and pads never had a problem

You will. Mintex pads are fine. Britpart brake parts are worse than notorious for their appalling quality. I would go so far as to call them dangerous. Porous castings, scored bores, swarf left in to destroy seals, warped discs and drums. They even send out solid hoses.

You will need to swap the brass t peice for the brake lines as the abs disco has a flexi for each side, however the one off your existing axle should fit.

Have a good check of the trailing arm mounts before fitting.

Will.

No need - you can plumb the callipers into the T as you don't need independent braking for the ABS/ETC. I'd leave the ABS sensors in place with their leads tied up to prevent mud ingress through their mounting hole. Don't cut their leads off, as you'll be able to help someone out with a swap when theirs break, fitting their failed sensors as plugs in yours (then you can cut the leads off).

• Like 1

I don't think you can, all the abs discos I've had have two rear brake lines and the brass 'T' is actually two 90s that don't interconnect, thus you would only have one caliper working if you only put one flexible hose on.