National Park Survey, show your support for recreational motoring.

Here is an invitation to participate in an on-line survey run by the Campaign for National Parks.
If you like recreational motoring within any of the Parks, here is an opportunity to say so.
I would encourage you to complete this survey and emphasise that National Parks should welcome motor vehicles rather than pursue a policy of green road closures. The survey is accessible here: http://www.cnp.org.uk/cnp80yrs

There is a question about what stops you enjoying the Parks; obviously having the Authorities impose TROs closing BOATs to recreational motorists may well be one of those things.
You may like to comment on the implication in one multi-choice question that driving on unsurfaced tracks is OFF-ROADING.
BOATs, which may be unsurfaced tracks, are legal highways.
You do have the opportunity to say which Park you have in mind when completing the survey.

Your email address will not be linked to your survey responses, which will remain anonymous and confidential.

Regards.

Entered my points, but what a carp survey!

Questions - Each question has 20 items listed why parks are interesting.

Answer - Only three answers allowed per answer!!

OK this might get them the most important reason per person but not the full picture, if everyone answers the same three answers do they ignore the other seventeen points to save money?

Pointless, but I stated driving a right of way is not offroading by definition, but since they only listed footpaths and bridleways as RoW then they will probably assume that I want to drive them!! More likely they will just ignore it as not in remit.

Retroconda.

If we do nothing the antis will close everything sooner rather than later. It's worth employing delaying tactics, and if you don't tell them how you feel how can you claim they are attacking your pastime? I'm not asking for a lot of effort from you. It's also worthwhile pissing them off by giving them answers they don't want to hear.

I appreciate that not everyone is as politically motivated as I am, and as my colleagues are, but the least you can do is spend a few minutes giving us your support.

Missingsid

Thankyou for making the effort. Yes the survey is biased, but that means it's more rewarding to twist it round and use it against them.

I was alerted to this via a post from a fellow GLASS member. If we want to find out what responses they have had we simply put in a Freedom of Information request in a few months time. Some of us will have signed up for the newsletter so we keep alerted to their public stance.

Regards.

I have done the survey, I am happy to do so, but I think all you're doing is delaying the inevitable. Green laning/off-roading/whatever you want to call it is not politically compatible with National Parks or even to a lesser extent the wider management of the British countryside in a lot of areas. Perhaps delaying the inevitable closure of the lanes is enough, it will certainly allow more people to enjoy them, and as I say I applaud your efforts but as you suggested I lack the political motivation to get involved in the whole affair.

Personally I will enjoy them whole I can, but I am under no illusions as to the finite nature of the pastime's lifespan.

I have done the survey, I am happy to do so, but I think all you're doing is delaying the inevitable. Green laning/off-roading/whatever you want to call it is not politically compatible with National Parks or even to a lesser extent the wider management of the British countryside in a lot of areas. Perhaps delaying the inevitable closure of the lanes is enough, it will certainly allow more people to enjoy them, and as I say I applaud your efforts but as you suggested I lack the political motivation to get involved in the whole affair.

Personally I will enjoy them whole I can, but I am under no illusions as to the finite nature of the pastime's lifespan.

This is not actually true in all cases.

Keilder 4x4 Safari is an offroad drive used to assist the funding of the Mountain Rescue Team. It uses Forestery Commission land.

If we can use this use as a reference then we could get this expanded to other land?

Marc

Perhaps. There would no doubt be opportunities for that, particularly on private land or land where there is otherwise no vehicular right of way (such as FC land). I would welcome alternative methods of keeping access open.

Though I would point out that there is a difference in public perception between driving on what are physically/politically/environmentally sensitive and often historic routes, and driving on purpose-built and generally flat/graded timber haul roads within a commercial forest where there are hundreds of vans, lorries, machines etc. buzzing around all day anyway. Kielder Forest is also outside the Northumberland National Park boundary for the most part.

Done.

There were some strange choices available, I suppose some people don't want see the countryside as it really is.

Quite true, also there seems to be a growing idea that the countryside should be open to everyone, and that it is socially acceptable to enjoy outdoor life and pursuits, just not vehicular users (quite sure this has been this way for a long time but i am seeing it more than ever lately)

• 2 weeks later...

Done. Well done David.

I don't take the pessimistic view it will all be over in a matter of time, but green lanes really are under threat and I applaud the efforts of those who are prepared and able to invest time fighting the well funded and quite frankly arrogant groups like the Ramblers to maintain access to the countryside for all user groups. The proportionality argument really is key as I mentioned in my note within the survey:

Maintaining vehicular access to byways is an important reason visitors come to the parks and should be preserved for those to enjoy responsibly. Vehicular access is restricted to a small number of rights of way compared to other access types, and as such this proportionality should be factored in when considering feedback from pressure groups such as the Ramblers Association. The parks are there for all users to enjoy, including motor vehicles, walkers, horse riders alike. All existing rights for all users should be upheld and preserved.