90 200TDI - 300TDI Conversion

Hi guys

As you may know i am looking at replacing my defender 200tdi engine for a recon'd disco 200tdi engine but i have just seen on the Bay of E that Steve Parker's do a defender 300tdi to 4 cylinder engine mount conversion kit ok its 100 quid but i am not bothered about that as i can't weld anyway and also noticed that 300's are easier to get hold of aswell.

So if i decide to go down this route instead, as reguards fitting a recon'd 300tdi in and mine currently being a defender 200tdi engine aswell as needing a 300tdi front down pipe and getting the wiring sorted for the alternator is there anything else i would need, engine mounts and front pipe is all i can think of, can anyone help on this please

The radiator cold outlet is on the same side as the hot inlet on the 300, so you'd need to either play about with making hoses fit or replace the rad, but given that the engine would still be aft in the 200 position, 300 pipes will probably not reach. You'll have the same fun with the intercooler piping, but that'd be true of using the Discovery 200 too.

The radiator cold outlet is on the same side as the hot inlet on the 300, so you'd need to either play about with making hoses fit or replace the rad, but given that the engine would still be aft in the 200 position, 300 pipes will probably not reach. You'll have the same fun with the intercooler piping, but that'd be true of using the Discovery 200 too.

Ok i am running a 300 intercooler with defender 200 pipes atm the bottom intercooler pipe just about fits but as you say new pipes would be needed for that, rad hoses arn't a problem as i was going to go silicon anyway so new rad needed, anything else :i-m_so_happy:

Do you mean the potentiometer on top of the throttle spindle? If so, that's the EGR input (signals the EGR open or closed); just leave it disconnected or remove it completely. If you mean near the back, over the fuel solenoid, I think it's called EDC and is the bit that corresponds to the "spider" on the heater blower that is connected to the immobiliser. You can swap it out for a regular solenoid setup.

Do you mean the potentiometer on top of the throttle spindle? If so, that's the EGR input (signals the EGR open or closed); just leave it disconnected or remove it completely. If you mean near the back, over the fuel solenoid, I think it's called EDC and is the bit that corresponds to the "spider" on the heater blower that is connected to the immobiliser. You can swap it out for a regular solenoid setup.

Sounds like its the potentiometer on top of the throttle spindle then i am looking at :)

As I've said before.... Convert your Disco 200 engine into a Defender 200 engine by swapping the timing case over, the manifolds and turbo....

The defender 200 fits your engine bay perfectly, using factory parts.

If your not confident doing that then I'd seriously question an engine conversion.

I'd definitely swap the 200 parts over - the 200 is a good engine and swapping the parts over cant be that bad - lots of people have done it, plus there will be loads of folk on here who could support it with answering questions etc.

The 200 defender set up is quite sought after - and you'll likely never end up with another alternative that looks as 'factory' as your factory one does now.

As I've said before.... Convert your Disco 200 engine into a Defender 200 engine by swapping the timing case over, the manifolds and turbo....

The defender 200 fits your engine bay perfectly, using factory parts.

If your not confident doing that then I'd seriously question an engine conversion.

As reguard's the 200 the only reason i want to go the disco route is because i prefer the disco look and with the 300 now i have found a sorce for the engine mounts its just made sorceing an engine easier the rest of the work fitting the 300 in is pretty easy as most stuff is readily available.

But it depends on what engine i end up with as i am not mythered if its a disco 200 or a 300 :)

Of the two the 200 is the better engine - not by much but it is that bit better

What is wrong with your defender engine?

Its got a smashed / repaired timing case it was like that when i bought it but i repaired it but really needs a better timing case and the front oil seal is now leaking quite bad, i no the oil seal can be done but as i don't know the history of this engine and have had a couple of other issues with it aswell i have decided to buy another engine as i need to keep the 90 on the road whilst the other engine is being done

The core engine is the same for both 200s, so you can just swap the Defender timing case and manifolds to the rebuilt engine. The turbo core is the same too; just swap the turbine and compressor casings over if the current turbo s worn out. Then you don't need to replace or reroute all the plumbing.

Can the Defender timing case not be repaired? Most machine shops could look at it and give you a price, which will be less than the cost of all the parts you'd need for a conversion.

It could be but i really want the disco look, i could buy all the disco dressings to put on this engine but i would still need the 90 on the road to transport all the bits to the re-manufacturer's and back so buying another engine works better for me :)

That's insane, to do all that just for small differences in appearance, especially when it means you can no longer use the proper fan and have to bugger about with the exhaust down pipe.

I don't have a disco to look at but with the disco 200 engine in a defender running a 200tdi rad and intercooler and more or less being the same chassis and engine mounts as a disco 200 the engine would end up in the same place as it would in a disco surely, granted may differ if using a 300 as i don't know, and i would have a new recon'd engine aswell

The water pump is the problem; it's much lower on the Discovery engine so the viscous fan won't fit and you'll end up with an unshrouded rad with electric fan. The ancilliaries are all in different locations, too - alternator and PAS pump will be in very different locations, needing new hoses for the pump. It is a very wide assembly and routing the intercooler pipes may be a challenge. You'd also need to replace the fuel lines from the fuel filter to injection pump with a custom line due to the Discovery pump's higher position.

In all, it's going to look like a DIY retrofit, and certainly scruffier than the Defender engine.

I don't think, Well I know you can;t, use a 200Tdi radiator on a 300Tdi unless you use the 300Tdi rad or seriously modify the bottom hose pipework

Yeah i understand with the 300 rad and hoses but the 300 into a defender idea is wearing off atm and trying to get my head round the def 200 to disco 200 idea :)

I would agree with Nick - although in a less 'paving slab to the face' way.

What you have now is simple and easy - you want to modify it to not simple and easy

And in the process reducing the value of the vehicle by a small percentage

What are the other issues with the engine?